Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Home networking (5e and 6)  (Read 3156 times)

Reformed

• Reg Member
Re: Home networking (5e and 6)
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2022, 11:17:39 AM »

Pretty sure a cable run is hardware, Sir. Ethernet doesn't rate adapt once connected so no point in measuring throughput between two devices directly connected to the cable run: you look at speed, duplex and errors and get that from switches.

An error free, stable cable run at 10G will give 10G as long as the equipment either side isn't a bottleneck. Software can't measure the performance of the cable run as it has to run on a computer. You're measuring performance from one computer to another via all the equipment and software layers in between, not the cable run.

Switches that are non-blocking and the error rates either side are fine. If they're very low or zero and the link is stable the throughput on the cable is what the link says on the tin.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 11:24:12 AM by Reformed »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2022, 05:55:10 PM »

Whatever, sir, we're both guessing at what Skieci meant until they come back and clarify. Yes you are correct cables are hardware, but he still asked if there was any software that can test through put  :P
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2022, 07:29:03 PM »

Thanks for the comments. As I don't have access to a certified tester like a fluke or something I just wondered if it was possible to see if my cabling was any good using some software  to test its performance...

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2022, 08:09:56 PM »

Sadly no. Any software checker will be restricted by the hardware either side and will never give a result higher than the maximum the hardware will support.

To check if a cable can support x Gbps you need hardware either side that can actually push that many Gbps through the cable.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2022, 09:38:12 PM »

I would think that without special kit then UDP ramping up to flat out transmission rate would be the best you can do on the cheap. Of course a tester that could inject arbitrary waveforms would be far better, far more stressful, but perhaps not sufficiently ‘relevant’ to your everyday world - what’s the word I need here?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2022, 10:05:40 PM »

- what’s the word I need here?

"usage".  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2022, 01:47:41 AM »

I would think that without special kit then UDP ramping up to flat out transmission rate would be the best you can do on the cheap.

You'd need to compare it to a bad cable though, as even over fibre I get "some" retries from TCP traffic if I try to max out the link with perf3 so I'd expect UDP to always show some dropped traffic.  There's just so many places things can go wrong in the software stack that it makes knowing what is normal and what is a defect really tricky.

The best you can do really is bring up the interface statistics and look if there have been any dropped packets, collisions or overruns.  But again, I see dropped packets even on 10Gbit when stress testing. (or maybe I DO have a fault?)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 01:51:46 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2022, 07:51:13 AM »

Thanks for the comments. As I don't have access to a certified tester like a fluke or something I just wondered if it was possible to see if my cabling was any good using some software  to test its performance...

Can you clarify whether you want to know the maximum speed your cable will support, or that it will work fine at 1,2.5,5, or 10Gbps?
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2022, 12:09:54 PM »

The best you can do really is bring up the interface statistics and look if there have been any dropped packets, collisions or overruns.  But again, I see dropped packets even on 10Gbit when stress testing. (or maybe I DO have a fault?)

Overruns are between kernel and NIC, collisions can't happen on full duplex connections. Drops it depends which they are however filling a link you will see drops when you actually fill it. Have to go above the link's capacity to find that capacity with software.

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2022, 12:13:42 PM »

You are going to need hardware, but what's your budget?

Mikrotik have some good kit, Zyxel have a switch that might be perfect. You'll likely only need a couple of ports capable of more than 1G on each switch so there are options.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2022, 04:13:15 AM »

Overruns are between kernel and NIC, collisions can't happen on full duplex connections. Drops it depends which they are however filling a link you will see drops when you actually fill it. Have to go above the link's capacity to find that capacity with software.

Thanks, I was hoping someone would clarify what they mean as its something I've never really thought much about since the 10BASE2 days.  It just struck me as odd as I never saw drops on Gigabit but have since being on 10Gbit.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: 1 [2]