Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Openreach FTTP ISP & VOIP  (Read 4877 times)

Derpy

Re: Openreach FTTP ISP & VOIP
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2022, 07:10:17 AM »

But I’ve been too lazy to sort it out given that the VoIP system works superbly on redirect to my wife’s mobile phone.
Do you redirect using Also Ring or are you using a SIP client on the phone?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2022, 11:14:51 PM »

@adrianw:

I’m using the also ring (immediately) feature in the AA servers. No SIP in the phone, it’s just a normal telephone call from AA over EE to my wife’s mobile.

Indeed the handsets don’t need any configuration, so I don’t know what’s going wrong - N300 and handsets just not seeing one another so my wife reported, but I would need to take a look myself.

My bonded system does indeed weld the three connections into one seamlessly; applications have no way of knowing that there are actually three pipes underlying the one apparent one. However given the fact that the upstream speeds of the lines are very mismatched - 0.65 Mbps upstream on line #1 and 0.4 Mbps upstream on line #4 - I wonder about possible packet reordering, and certainly substantial jitter, which I can measure. I should retest this some time and see what the truth is. I could look out for packet out-of-orderness though by grinding my way through a connection traffic capture - god I hate that though.

That’s the problem though, seeing as it works so well as is, I’m too lazy to spend ages with AA debugging things.

adrianw

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2022, 03:05:10 AM »

@adrianw:
Indeed the handsets don’t need any configuration, so I don’t know what’s going wrong - N300 and handsets just not seeing one another so my wife reported, but I would need to take a look myself.
The handsets do need registering with the base.
I also recall making some tweaks using the Web Configurator, such as turning off the useless info services on the phone displays.
<packet loss, out of sequence packets and jitter affecting VOIP, packet capture inspection, leaving well alone>
Ah, I concede your point.
And wading through tcpdump or similar output is indeed a PITA.
Given that also ring is working so well for you, do you even need the base and handsets?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2022, 05:57:31 AM »

> do you even need the base and handsets?

No, indeed; haven’t used that kit in a long time. For some reason, I forget, I got a new lot of hardware which didn’t work even though I thought that I set it up carefully. And then, for reasons discussed, I just never got round to whimpering to AA for some help, as everything just worked perfectly with Plan B anyway.
Pages: 1 2 [3]