Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Openreach FTTP ISP & VOIP  (Read 4853 times)

Derpy

Openreach FTTP ISP & VOIP
« on: January 13, 2022, 04:07:08 PM »

Hi
 :fingers: FTTP should be coming to my area in the next few weeks (thanks to R100) and I have been looking at options for a FTTP ISP and possibly VOIP as well.
I am currently FTTC with Sky and have been looking at BT, Zen and Sky as possible options.

Sky have been ruled out a bit because they dont do 900mb yet and who knows when they will even though I actually like the fact they dont use PPPoE which is a bit of an issue on the router I wanted to use (UDM Pro) although the UDM isnt set in stone.

Does anyone have any feedback on the 3 ISP options or any other I should consider?

I would prefer not to use an ISP router which is a problem for both Sky and BT as the only way the house phone would work would be to have it plugged in but I am not sure if you can use a SIP client with Zen FTTP or not although they are not the cheapest for landline so I would consider porting to a VOIP provider.

Any feedback or ideas would be greatly welcome.

Even when FTTP is on this street I fear it wont be a simple job as I suspect the properties dont have ducting and are DIG and bizarrely my master BT socket is on my first floor rather than the ground even though we are not pole here.

:fingers: FTTP comes soon

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Openreach FTTP ISP & VOIP
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 04:18:06 PM »

My plan is to stay with Zen and move my landline number to AAISPs SIP service.

If you're okay with PAYG top-up services, there are services like https://www.sipgatebasic.co.uk/.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 04:22:29 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2022, 04:19:03 PM »

Or to SIPGATE a solution that worked for me and doesn’t have any fees !
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 04:23:08 PM »

Or to SIPGATE a solution that worked for me and doesn’t have any fees !

You posted while I was updating mine, lol.  I couldn't remember the name so was checking my account.

But yeah, I've had a couple of SIPGATE numbers for years now, never actually used them (apart from every once in a while calling them from my mobile to test they still work) though they are "live" on my N300 IP and I use them for my domain name records.  Amazed they kept them live all this time when I've never once paid them a penny.

However as the biggest problem is my mum not remembering how much credit she has on her mobile, she relies on the landline not having a call limit thus AAISP makes more sense for me when I transition the landline over.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 04:33:09 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Derpy

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2022, 04:44:43 PM »

Thanks both, I was considering AA and taking a look at Sipgate, I personally never really use the landline but the other halfs family like to call it even though they have free mobile calls from their own landline its just in the mindset calling a house is cheaper/better...

Alex how have you found Zen? I presume you are on FTTC right now with a view to going FTTP when it comes?
Do you know anything about Zen's digital voice?

I wish more ISP's didnt use PPPoE like sky but sky is the only one I am aware of using Openreach, I know other non openreach services dont, I used to have hyperoptic 1GB and it was amazing but since moving my FTTC speeds have been a shock to say the least at < 25Mb.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2022, 04:50:33 PM »

You are correct, FTTC but FTTP is due any time.

I know nothing about Zens Digital Voice, but I wouldn't use it anyway as if the worst happens and Zen turn into a bad ISP, keeping the voice with someone else means I can switch whenever I want without any hassle.

AA also have quite a reputation especially when dealing with vulnerable customers as @Weaver can attest to.  I like the idea that if something goes wrong and excessive call charges were accrued, they would be sensitive in dealing with it.  My mum once ran a HUGE bill up on her mobile (when it was on contract) due a phone glitch that caused the call to go on hold instead of hanging up, for DAYS.  That was a nightmare dealing with the mobile company (I can't remember which now).  Its unlikely to happen with the Gigaset handsets I use, but its still in the back of my mind.

craigski

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2022, 05:26:50 PM »

As soon as I heard FTTP was coming to my area, I started looking at voice options.

I thought about VoIP landline options, I have Siemens DECT phones that could support VoIP, but decided to ditch landline.

Over past few months, I encouraged anyone that called land line to use mobile number or WhatsApp instead, and delete my landline from their address books, even elderly relatives, who are now using WhatsApp voice calls to friends and family abroad, for group calls etc.

Its a nice feeling not having DECT base station handsets cluttering the house.

I was concerned about PPPoE overhead, but my Zen FTTP is performing as per advertised speeds in its first week.  :fingers: for the next 23 months and 3 weeks!

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2022, 06:01:16 PM »

I'd rather use WhatsApp, but relying on just a single service can be problematic.

I still know people who wont use a smartphone at all.  Plus you can't call your GP, Pharmacy, Hospital, etc with WhatsApp.

craigski

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2022, 06:49:06 PM »

I was suggesting WhatsApp for calling overseas and group chats for friends and family, of course use mobile phone/VoIP/landline for calling doctors etc.

For those that are overwhelmed with a smart phone, there are alternatives such as Doro.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2022, 09:02:30 PM »

What really annoys me is I looked into WhatsApp on Dumb phones and every one of them its messages only, no voice.  Considering the guy I want it for can't even handle SMS, its useless.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2022, 07:55:28 AM »

> Does anyone have any feedback on the 3 ISP options or any other I should consider?

I’ve been delighted with Andrews and Arnold (aa.net.uk) for over ten years now. See some of my earlier ‘cracked record’ posts on the subject ;) As well as being a superb ISP, they have a lot of special features that aren’t easy to find elsewhere.’

Derpy

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2022, 03:38:34 PM »

Thanks again all, I am starting to get an idea what I will do with the landline and a plan to move to voip seems best so any further voip provider recommendations would be welcome.

I’ve been delighted with Andrews and Arnold (aa.net.uk) for over ten years now. See some of my earlier ‘cracked record’ posts on the subject ;) As well as being a superb ISP, they have a lot of special features that aren’t easy to find elsewhere.’

I have always wanted to go with AA but the transfer limits basically prevent it as even with FTTC now I would easily be far over their current limits.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2022, 06:32:47 PM »

> Does anyone have any feedback on the 3 ISP options or any other I should consider?

What will AAISP offer on FTTP that is useful, what advantages do they offer? I can't see why anyone would pay them so much money for a service which basically won't go wrong

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2022, 06:43:34 PM »

Better support, less risk of congestion, the ability to change backhaul, the ability to upgrade/downgrade package (every month if you wanted) without having to renew contract.

They are also 1 of the very few ISP's that provides a solution that allows you to migrate your PSTN number to VOIP without it ceasing the broadband connection.
They are 1 of very few providers that can give multiple IPV4 addresses if that's a requirement.
They are 1 of a few who offering line bonding.

It's above what I would pay for my broadband but they certainly have plenty to offer.

FTTP isn't magic. It does go wrong. I've had 2 outages on my PON in the last year which was more downtime than the last 3-4 years combined on FTTC.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 06:46:30 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2022, 06:50:56 PM »

What are AAISP going to be able to fix on FTTP faster than BT or Sky?

I simply don't see the advantage they offer - and their prices are ludicrous.
Pages: [1] 2 3