Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wakefield FTTP  (Read 3117 times)

Reformed

• Reg Member
Wakefield FTTP
« on: January 13, 2022, 12:10:55 PM »

Remember a post or two on here about Wakefield so here's the latest.

CityFibre break ground in Flanshaw next month, then are making a beeline down Broadway with spurs going down side roads through Lupset to provide FTTP to homes and businesses not on the new ring route.
Virgin Media O2 are overbuilding the cable network with FTTP in Eastmoor.
Openreach are all over having suddenly taking more of an interest in the city itself in the past couple of weeks after Wakefield Council announced a deal with CityFibre in December.

Pure coincidence I'm sure.  ;)

stevebrass

• Reg Member
Re: Wakefield FTTP
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 03:53:21 PM »

Looks like a bit of competition is working wonders!
Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2022, 03:57:13 PM »

Remember a post or two on here about Wakefield so here's the latest.

Yes, there were a few in the past. So thank you for this latest update.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 02:16:45 PM »

Game on. Local authorities playing anchor tenant does work.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2022, 04:16:43 PM »

A busy looking map.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2022, 08:45:23 PM »

I wish it looked like that round here, the jobs are REALLY spread out and seem to be moving further away from me again. :(

Annoyingly my bit of the road has been recently made a bus route and I fear that may have delayed my bit due to the extra logistical challenges.

Though all the properties from the aggregation node along the ducting on that side of the road are also DIG to maisonettes which possibly dropped its priority, even though that duct also junctions across to the houses and my DP on the other side.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 08:47:49 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2022, 12:50:00 PM »

Netomnia are also starting in the city this month - PIA work on a main road.

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2022, 04:13:29 PM »

Indeed, YouFibre will be the ISP for it

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2022, 04:10:45 PM »

Indeed. Already had a brief conversation with YouFibre on this one. Would be good to get a diverse supplier using different equipment even though the fibre will almost certainly follow the same route.

Insane amounts of work now as CityFibre keep putting in their works to install their metro network in the east of the city, Netomnia continue to build out their spine and the suddenly far more enthusiastic Openreach have 15-20 works going on simultaneously.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2022, 05:13:06 PM »

Wow phone icon overload  :)
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2022, 08:06:36 AM »

Wow, they aren't messing about.  Its MUCH quieter than that round here despite CityFibre, Openreach, Virgin and mobile operators all doing work.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2022, 06:38:30 PM »

Tons more Openreach and CityFibre works, Netomnia are building out their spine.

City itself should go from single digits FTTP to 50% in 6 months.

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2022, 06:50:09 PM »

The exact nature of the works by the way: Netomnia is all PIA, they're unblocking ducts in a few places, CityFibre is largely PIA - they are also unblocking Openreach ducts accessing poles.

CityFibre are also installing some new poles. Looks as though they'll build out the spine in their own trenching and then, where possible, use PIA on the leaves to get closer to and indeed connect customers.
Minimal overlap between Openreach work and CF/NO for now. NO apparently have less going on however they are building spine with PIA and have broken ground, CF have not.

Think in some cases the three of them must have rodded ducts, found blockages, then waiting to see if one of the others will fix it. ;D

Netomnia are further through the build but CF are really throwing resources at it in a couple of weeks. It's insane and much of it relates to Openreach infrastructure, whether poles, unblocking of their ducts or a dig across a road to get to a private road via core drilling into a BT pit.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2022, 07:10:51 PM »

Think in some cases the three of them must have rodded ducts, found blockages, then waiting to see if one of the others will fix it. ;D

I'm sure that is happening here. Community Fibre were busy rolling out in the area and then stopped. They are now letting OR carry out their own civil works, before they plan to come back and install some more FTTP

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2022, 09:44:58 PM »

I'm sure that is happening here. Community Fibre were busy rolling out in the area and then stopped. They are now letting OR carry out their own civil works, before they plan to come back and install some more FTTP

That probably explains why CF are being slow here too, let Openreach roll theirs out first.

It might seem foolish on the surface as most people once on OR FTTP I can't see symmetrical being appealing enough for them to pay another install fee, but maybe they will waive the install fee based on how much they saved from NOT having to clear blockages?
Pages: [1] 2