Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Two networks coming  (Read 1261 times)

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
Two networks coming
« on: March 04, 2022, 05:00:52 PM »

Openreach have just started rolling out in my exchange area and I’ve received a letter from YouFibre saying they are rolling out in my area soon too.

YouFibre seems to be the better option as they are cheaper and offer symmetrical speeds too.

It’s a race to see who gets here first now  :fingers:

Please before 2023

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Two networks coming
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2022, 06:59:51 PM »

Just take note that Youfibre use CGNAT and it costs £5 a month for a static IP so you should cost that in to it if CGNAT is going to be an issue for you.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2022, 07:10:46 PM »

Sorry for the off topic post. But just thought of a good question to ask as I was reading the reply.

Just take note that Youfibre use CGNAT and it costs £5 a month for a static IP so you should cost that in to it if CGNAT is going to be an issue for you.

As we move (slowly) to IPv6 will the CGNAT no longer be a problem?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2022, 07:52:47 PM »

Sorry for the off topic post. But just thought of a good question to ask as I was reading the reply.

As we move (slowly) to IPv6 will the CGNAT no longer be a problem?

Considering HOW slow, yeah I think it will be for the foreseeable future.

IPv6 is also a bit of a nightmare from a security perspective.  I'm not talking the usual scare stories, I mean that the sheer number of addresses is going to make things like blocking bad actors using pfBlockerNG a real PITA as the pool of addresses they could be using will be HUGE.  Rather than blocking the IP of a compromised device, you're going to have to block the entire subnet.  Basically the features that make IPv6 better for user security may be detrimental to server security.

I also notice huge latency fluctuations on Zens IPv6 network.  Sometimes the latency is double that of IPv4, at least according to pfSense gateway monitoring.  Right now I'm seeing 0.3ms jitter on IPv4, 20ms on IPv6, not good if that's actually representative of real-world usage. (of course, it might not be as maybe their IPv6 gateway just has low ICMP priority)
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2022, 08:43:00 PM »

I’d probably get static in that case CGNAT seems to lead to lots of extra annoyances on mobile.

I contacted YouFibre and all I got was your address is on our systems but no date yet, I assume I’m part of the Pontefract rollout or Wakefield somehow I am on the outskirts so I would assume they’ll be months away easily.

Openreach is probably at least 6 months away too depending on the build order.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2022, 11:24:00 PM »

Yeah I think IPv6 been in a state where it can be considered fully functional across the internet is probably decades away, just too many entities dragging their feet with no motivation.

francisuk1989

• Twitter
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2022, 03:52:06 AM »

Same setup as Hyperoptic then, https://www.hyperoptic.com/faq/posts/static-ip-addresses/ under IPv4 address shortage and static IP addresses
« Last Edit: March 05, 2022, 03:54:57 AM by francisuk1989 »
Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 80/20 connected via Huawei 288 Cabinet
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A Bridged to FRITZ!Box 7530 with OpenWrt
BT Mobile SIM Only (10GB) Virgin Mobile SIM Only (6GB) Dual SIM with Oppo A54 5G

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2022, 09:54:38 PM »

“I have heard back from the build team and they have stated the whole area is still being planned. The first connection should be in around 3 months, but I have no estimated dates on a property level available at the moment.“ YouFibre

I’m guessing near the end of this year as I assume I’m part of the Pontefract rollout and I’ll be lowish down the list.

Openreach has just started in Hemsworth which is the town closest to me and my exchange area I have no idea who will get here first.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2022, 09:56:53 PM by S.Stephenson »

S.Stephenson

• Reg Member
Re: Two networks coming (Opoenrach and Netomnia)
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2022, 02:16:39 PM »

Things seem to be progressing, Openreach seem to be working rapidly in Hemsworth and have brought new fibre to my village the roadworks description below makes me think they'll be here sooner rather than later.

Netomnia are very active in Pontefract but there is nothing heading in my direction as of yet and I'm doubtful they will even rollout to a village like mine despite receiving a letter.