Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Zen FTTC to BT FTTP Migration  (Read 4875 times)

tiffy

• Kitizen
Re: Zen FTTC to BT FTTP Migration
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2022, 08:43:58 PM »

I was thinking coupler in back box, and PoE splitter in the bottom section of the openreach box, the section that is open in pic? Maybe too tight?
Yes, plenty of room to couple the ethernet cables in the back box but definately too tight in the bottom section of the ONT enclosure to fit the PoN splitter, don't want to go near the fibre connector jack and cause any physical damage.

An offcut of trunking with endcaps each end?
Thanks, that's a clever idea I would never have thought of.
In lieu of getting a 38X25mm trunking off cut, a 2m length from Screwfix doesn't cost a fortune, £4.34.
I'am sure I could find lots of uses for the rest!
Vodafone FTTP 200/28, VF THG3000 Hub

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2022, 10:46:48 PM »

You might have better luck removing the PoE splitter from its plastic shell, that wastes a lot of space and as its going in another box its not going to leave anything exposed.  The only catch to that is voiding the warranty.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2022, 11:28:17 AM »

@Alex Atkin UK:
You might have better luck removing the PoE splitter from its plastic shell
Yes, certainly another option I hadn't thought of, would have to cannibalise the case, appears to be glued together, wouldn't worry too much about the warranty as the splitter didn't cost a fortune.

Had a bit of a shock yesterday morning, ONT LOS red LED illuminated, PON green LED out, obviously no BB or digi LL phone service. :(
As replacement of the ONT power source was the last significant event, decided to re-instate the original ONT PSU in the unlikely event that this had somehow effected or even damaged the Nokia ONT, left installation as original for further OR remedial activity.
Contacted BT who advised that an engineer would attend today, Saturday AM.

OR engineer attended @ 08:30 hrs and re-made the fibre joint at the CSP box fully restoring service.
Nice lad, even removed his shoes at the front porch!
He related that fibre joint failure was not uncommon, in this case the original joint made by the OR sub-contractor may not have been 100% even though it read healthy at the time of installation.

Ironically with many years of ADSL/VDSL BB service I have never had a complete outage as such and have now experienced a 24 hr BB & phone outage within a week of the FTTP installation!
Can't complain about the BT/OR remedial service especially on a Saturday, made sure to submit a favourable review for the OR engineer.

Being satisfied that the ONT PoN power supply had no bearing on the failure will re-instate after reviewing some of the options suggested.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2022, 03:10:04 PM »

OR engineer attended @ 08:30 hrs and re-made the fibre joint at the CSP box fully restoring service.

So you have experienced an ELF.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2022, 05:31:00 PM »

So you have experienced an ELF.

Indeed yes, teething troubles I have no doubt, I'm sure the FTTP will perform faultlessly from here on with no more VDSL DLM to worry about. :fingers:

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2022, 05:53:14 PM »

Also, I have a few TP-Link PoE adapters which are nice as their voltage is switchable and they don't hard-wire the cables so gives you more flexibility there.  That said, not sure what PoE modes they support as I got them to pair with an active PoE switch rather than passive.

Its a shame nobody has thought it might be a good idea to make routers have PoE on their WAN port and ONTs have PoE support.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2022, 08:07:56 PM »

Its a shame nobody has thought it might be a good idea to make routers have PoE on their WAN port and ONTs have PoE support.
Now that would be nice but as always, likely comes down to cost on mass produced items which are normally given away with ISP contracts.

Not really relevent to ONT PoE supply as such, I have observed on virtually all my family & friends recent FTTP installations whether UG or aerial feeds that the ONT is more often than not situated in a location that suits the installer, accepting that the Hub/Router will very likely end up an ethernet jumper cable length away from the ONT, rather than a location which would provide optimal Wi-Fi coverage, the average consumer won't or in many cases can't run an ethernet (WAN) cable to locate the Hub/Router in it's optimal Wi-Fi coverage location.
A surprising number of installations end up with the Hub/Router on the floor beside the ONT.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]