Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Sudden 30% drop in sync rate on g.fast, ISP say no fault  (Read 4785 times)

bottlerocket

Sudden 30% drop in sync rate on g.fast, ISP say no fault
« on: January 12, 2022, 07:35:12 PM »

Hi. I've been on g.fast for a little under 18 months. Downstream sync speeds up until last month were around 150000. Early December the sync rate started to drop. It's now sitting at around 100000. I've contacted my ISP who have said they can find no fault and Openreach don't consider it a fault as their speed checker gives around 102Mb as the max line rate. When I checked www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com I get a rate range of 128-154Mb, which is the speed I was told when I signed up with ISP.
ISP have said to try a new filter and master socket, which I'll do when I get a new filter. That the ISP say the line isn't capable of more than I'm getting indicates to me this probably won't help.
Is this sort of rate drop within what I should expect from g.fast?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Sudden 30% drop in sync rate on g.fast, ISP say no fault
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2022, 11:53:46 PM »

AFAIK g.fast shouldn't reduce dramatically unless there is a problem as those frequencies are only used for other g.fast customers and all lines have vectoring.  Will defer to others on the forum who know better though.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2022, 04:12:55 AM »

Trying to interpret what you was told by the ISP, it would mean either the openreach estimate is only 102mB, or that their own tools have never logged a sync speed higher then that, I have observed on FTTC, sync speeds only seem to get logged when a GEA test is carried out, which is why when I was syncing at 80 I deliberately ran a GEA test to get it logged.  Whether g.fast is the same absolutely no idea.

Hopefully someone better can give you an answer, but I think with vectoring there is no crosstalk excuse to hide behind anymore and such a sharp drop in speed suggests either new external interference or a fault.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 05:47:47 AM »

Welcome to the forum, Bottlerocket, by the way!

bottlerocket

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2022, 03:10:22 PM »

ISP in question logs the sync rate seemingly each connect. I can see from the log 150000 was common for the first 16 months, it’s only got worse in the last month.

What the ISP have said is that Openreach can and do vary the expected line rate and it could be due to more users connected to the cabinet or the original estimates being wrong. However the line was happily given 14MB/s via fast.com for 16 months. It’s now down to 100MB/s or just below. Upstream is also worse (23 vs 27).

What i do t understand is why openreach are apparently given them one set of figures and the bt wholesale is given a different set - the wholesale values seem current as it is showing the seen max bandwidth as todays date.

I changed the filter today and as expected no better sync rate.

I rather feel like I’m being fobbed off.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2022, 03:59:04 PM »

That's because you likely are being fobbed off.

When you signed up you were provided an estimated speed range and a guaranteed minimum.
If you are below the guaranteed minimum quoted to you at the time of sign-up (or your most recent renewal) then the ISP are free to ask Openreach to come try and increase the speed.

Some providers will happily arrange for Openreach to try bring your speed back up. If the line is below the figures mentioned above then this isn't a chargeable visit for the provider.
If Openreach fail to bring the speeds back above the minimum guarantee then you are free to leave your contract.

Many providers won't even try this process and will simply refuse to arrange an engineer. They will simply allow you to leave your contract.
The profit from you as a customer is less than it cost to provide the support to fix your issues so some just don't bother.

The estimates on the BT Wholesale checker are irrelevant. They do indeed change over time and can be lower now than when you initially joined.
The only important figures are your contractual figures that you agreed and signed up to.

I would be pressing the provider to try get them to arrange an Openreach engineer to increase the speeds on the line.

What was the guaranteed minimum quoted to you when you signed up/last renewed?
Who is the provider?
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

bottlerocket

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2022, 05:54:50 PM »

I had an estimated 122200-160000 typical 160000. I didn’t not get a guaranteed minimum that I can find now. ISP is Zen.

bottlerocket

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2022, 09:34:13 PM »

Ask for an escalation of the support case. The engineer found there was a profile on the line which they have requested be removed.  :fingers:

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2022, 07:01:41 AM »

@Chrys - what’s a GEA test ?

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2022, 09:01:23 AM »

@Chrys - what’s a GEA test ?

Generic Ethernet Access:

Generic Ethernet Access (GEA) is an entry-level, Ethernet based technology, utilizing existing copper infrastructure to provide an efficient and cost-effective leased line internet connection.

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2022, 10:43:09 AM »

@Weaver  A GEA test is run by CPs as a general sanity check on FTTC and G.Fast lines. It gives a range of information and can report major errors.

Below is the text from a GEA test on the Plusnet forum, there are many examples there.

Code: [Select]
Test Outcome                               Pass
Test Outcome Code                          GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description                                GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location                        OK
Sync Status                                In Sync
Downstream Speed                           42.1 Mbps
Upstream Speed                             9.9 Mbps
Appointment Required                       N
Fault Report Advised                       N
NTE Power Status                           PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result                     Pass
Radio Frequency Ingress                    Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise        Not Detected
Cross Talk                                 Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres            682.9
Upstream Rate Assessment                   Reasonable
Downstream Rate Assessment                 Reasonable
Interference Pattern                       Regular Interference Observed on Week Days
Service Impact                             Retrains Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence   From18:00to18:15
Interference Location                      Customer Premise
Interference Observed In Days              4
Home Wiring Problem                        Not Detected
Technology                                 VDSL
Current 15Min Bin Retrains                 0
Last 15Min Bin Retrains                    0
DP Type                                    External
Profile Name                               0.128M-49M Downstream, Retransmission High - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp                                 2022-01-01T10:30:00
Parameters                                    MIN                MAX                AVG
Down Stream Line Rate                        43.9 Mbps        48.9 Mbps        46.1 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate                           9.7 Mbps        10.0 Mbps         9.9 Mbps
Up Time                                       532.0 Sec        900.0 Sec        898.3 Sec
Retrains                                       0.0                5.0                0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
        Parameters        Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)        Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp             2022-01-14T10:05:18Z                        2022-01-14T10:20:18Z
Ingress Code Violation              1                                        0
Egress Code Violation               0                                        0
Errored Seconds                     0                                        0
Severely Errored Seconds            0                                        0
Unavailable Seconds                 0                                        0

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2022, 03:49:39 PM »

@RealAleMadrid That’s really interesting, thank you! I’ve never heard of that, not having VDSL2. Can an end user get hold of the report easily / routinely through their ISP ? (if the ISP is any good)

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2022, 04:56:51 PM »

@Weaver, all good ISP should provide.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2022, 02:11:37 AM »

@RealAleMadrid That’s really interesting, thank you! I’ve never heard of that, not having VDSL2. Can an end user get hold of the report easily / routinely through their ISP ? (if the ISP is any good)

AAISP has a button on the control panel to run it.  However the report that comes back isnt the full report, it omits the DLM profile and I think one or two other bits.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2022, 04:00:18 AM »

> AAISP has a button on the control panel to run it.

Ah. I don’t see that button because I don’t have VDSL2. The layout of the control panel is variable per line type. My lines changed from BT 20CN to 21CN and that made the controls change, with more options available.
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything