Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Sudden 30% drop in sync rate on g.fast, ISP say no fault  (Read 4838 times)

bottlerocket

Re: Sudden 30% drop in sync rate on g.fast, ISP say no fault
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2022, 08:58:13 PM »

Zen did  a profile reset. Sync went up to 144849 which is what it typically was for the first year of service. 3 days later it's now 114681.
A resync happens every few days mostly during the early hours of the morning.

Contract period is coming to an end, so I may just get rid of the g.fast. Or maybe I wait for FTTP which apparently will be coming in the next few months.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2022, 09:00:22 PM »

Yeah G.fast are not bad for my property. I am going back to FTTC in May when my contract has finished.

bottlerocket

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2022, 10:55:48 AM »

Update time :)

Sync rate dropped below 100Mbps and Zen agreed to send out Openreach. Engineer attended, replaced face plate and cable and reset the line profile. Got the best sync I've ever had on the line for a few days. Then the same problem started again and the sync rate dropping gradually over six weeks to a little under 90Mbps. New case raised with Zen who want me to plug a new filter into the master socket and maybe replace the router.

I have never noticed any drop outs on the line other than the resync in the early hours of the morning as the sync speed drops.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2022, 12:08:00 PM »

Kinda silly to want you to use the test socket when the face plate has just been replaced, but gotta follow the script I guess.

The router on the other hand is definitely worth a try.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2022, 01:34:42 PM »

Better go back to fttc if your gfast below 100 meg.

bottlerocket

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2022, 06:16:46 PM »

Second engineer could see a sync at around 160. Couldn’t find any other issue. Replaced the modem and Ethernet cable. Resetting the line profile put it back up to 140.

I’m beginning to wonder if the QoS on the router may be having an affect but I don’t understand why that could be - router is running openwrt. Can the layer running over the PPPoE affect sync? I had assumed it was entirely down to lower layers than that.

Went back to Zen after the engineer visited to ask for a regrade to vdsl2. They want me to plug the modem into the test socket again!

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2022, 06:29:22 PM »

That's stupid of zen support team asking you to plug into test socket I suggest you tell them no I want downgraded to vdsl or I leave with no fault of mine. Zen only want your money. That's all they care about.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2022, 06:31:05 PM »

Isn't it a bit soon to ask for regrade if you just replaced the modem and had a profile reset?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

bottlerocket

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2022, 10:23:24 PM »

Two engineer visits, new modem new cables new face plate. Profile gets reset slowly degrades over 6-8 weeks. Don’t want to pay £15/month for bandwidth I’m not benefiting from.

I could look at the router but I don’t see how it’s involved. It’s over Ethernet across the house but I don’t see how that would affect it.

Really I’m bidding my time until fibre I feel at this point. I don’t want to switch from Zen as their network has been reliable. I could switch back to A&A and save a fiver I guess.

I’ve switched QoS off on the router any way and will have a poke around with it.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2022, 10:29:02 PM »

On my gfast Openreach modem giving sync of 181/27 because I believe it got QoS enabled. I use my own gfast router and turned off QoS as the sync rate went to 241/41.

QoS enabled does affect gfast with poor sync rate.

But mind you I do not have gfast anymore.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2022, 12:00:24 AM »

I could look at the router but I don’t see how it’s involved. It’s over Ethernet across the house but I don’t see how that would affect it.

Okay, I'm intrigued.
Are you forcing full duplex gigabit over this connection or are you setting it to auto?

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2022, 08:04:20 AM »

I’m beginning to wonder if the QoS on the router may be having an affect but I don’t understand why that could be - router is running openwrt. Can the layer running over the PPPoE affect sync? I had assumed it was entirely down to lower layers than that.

I also can't think how the sync rate could be affected like that, but there are far more learned members who will doubtless explain.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

bottlerocket

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2022, 09:24:08 AM »

A bit more info on my set up:

* Line sync speeds are taken from Zen's portal.
* When downstream is high (150Mbps), upstream sync to around 25Mbps. When the downstream drops, upstream increases up to near 30Mbps.
* OpenWRT 21.02.1 on Linksys WRT3200ACM. QoS is Cake via the peice_of_cake.qos setup script. Bandwidth caps are set to about 10% less than results from fast.com. Packet overhead is set to 34. MTU is 1500 on the PPPoE link, with 1508 (I think, maybe higher) on the Ethernet port and switch ports. IPv4 (single) and IPv6 (via delegation) are used.
* Router is attached via Cat5/6 to a rj45, then trunking under the floor, to a patch panel and then a Unifi switch. MTU is at 1508 on the switch ports

Line is solid, I can't recall the last drop out that wasn't in the early hours of the morning. Speed test are always consistent. QoS works well, causing less latency on a loaded link and better bandwidth sharing.

QoS enabled or disabled doesn't affect the line speed on a quiet line - enabling QoS doesn't suddenly cause the line speed to drop.

I'd love to figure this out if it is something my side :)

bottlerocket

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2022, 10:24:04 AM »

Since last update, Zen replaced the router with a FritzBox. It didn't help. Line sync dropped as low as 61000 in July.
I nearly gave up on Openreach and started the process of moving the Virgin Media, but found after the initial sales call the level of communication from Virgin was dismal (cancelling the contract in the cooling of took 4 calls and a total of 3 hours on the phone...)

Anyway, since then, the speed has started improving, and I'm now sitting at a sync of the package max and getting speeds of 150Mb/s on fast.com - 140Mb/s was the previous top I'd seen.

Coincidentally an Openreach contractor installed new cabling down the street last night, so hopefully they're upgrading the area the FTTP and in doing so fixed the issue I was having.

bottlerocket

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2022, 09:12:23 PM »

Further update. I switched to OpenWRT with Codel Cake QoS and sync rate dropped. I switched back to the Fritz box without QoS and,after a few weeks, sync improved. Coincidence? I had been assuming so, not I am not so sure.

Ping has also dropped in half - used to be around 18ms, now see as low as 7ms, which I guess is exchange work for FTTP.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything