Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: power surge  (Read 2234 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: power surge
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2022, 02:03:42 AM »

Yes, they are the most stable output but less power efficient due to always running the inverter.  I think the noise of the inverter would drive me crazy personally.  I mean I like a nice 50Hz humm, but not while watching a movie. ;)
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2022, 10:44:19 AM »

This is between the output of the UPS and the networking kit. Is that what you were thinking about, Alex? I have read somewhere that it’s a bad thing to put anti-surge kit between the UPS and the wallsocket, so are we both thinking the same thing? (I can’t remember why there was that warning though, what the reasoning was.) I had been a sinner, so when I read that, I immediately mended my ways and removed the offending power surge strip. I had very much wanted to try and save my UPS though.

Indeed, I've read about similar things as well. I don't connect surge protectors or mains conditioners to my UPS, besides as it's always online it should be doing the job of a surge protector and mains conditioner anyway (well, a more sophisticated job).

Yes, they are the most stable output but less power efficient due to always running the inverter.  I think the noise of the inverter would drive me crazy personally.  I mean I like a nice 50Hz humm, but not while watching a movie. ;)

I can't say I've ever noticed noise from mine, except perhaps the fan but that's generally quiet imo.

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2022, 02:39:55 PM »

No noise from either of mine. The fan only kicks in when on battery and AC restored. Not for very long either.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2022, 04:29:41 PM »

I completely agree with the comment about bass in hi-fi. Large drivers in speakers need a lot of both current and dI/dt to kick the unit into motion fast, and then brake it, with drums for example and so anything that limits either is really bad. I made sure that my power amplifier was on its own line directly into the consumer unit, not on a ring with anything else and tried to maximise the current delivery with thick copper cable whose length was kept to a minimum as best I could. I used to be a bit of a hi-fi nut when I was still well. My minuscule knowledge of electronics is largely confined to audio.

I’ll need to dig for the papers g3uiss mentions. That means I’m still a sinner then, if gizmos between the networking equipment and the output of the UPS are verboten. I wonder why that might be?
Pages: 1 [2]