Chat > Tech Chat

Battery Backup and UPS Devices

(1/6) > >>

jelv:
[Moderator note: This post and those that follow have been split-off from Weaver's "Placement of NTU and related FTTP gubbins" topic.]

I have a APC Back-UPS CS 350 that just has my modem, NAS box and cordless phone base station. It runs for way longer than 15-30 minutes.

I recently bought a replacement battery for it - £18.99 - I don't consider that expensive.

Alex Atkin UK:

--- Quote from: jelv on January 11, 2022, 05:37:50 PM ---I have a APC Back-UPS CS 350 that just has my modem, NAS box and cordless phone base station. It runs for way longer than 15-30 minutes.

I recently bought a replacement battery for it - £18.99 - I don't consider that expensive.

--- End quote ---

That's strange as the official runtime graph suggests it should only do around 30 minutes on a 50W load.

Also look at the rating, its a 116A/h battery so if it was outputting only 12V it could run for most of a day at 50W.

Its also highly recommended to use a true sine wave unit on modern PSUs as modified sine waves can interfere with the power factor correction.

craigski:
I was curious when you said 116Ah, and price was quoted as £18.99 (a lot of battery for that price!).

I just checked spec in detail ,the UPS states 116 power-volt-hours, so assume Wh, the battery says 7Ah.

Chrysalis:
I have never had a UPS unit I purchased run even close to advertised run time, maybe I am unlucky on defective/aged batteries I dont know.

Personally I think mobile is enough for emergencies in populated areas, if a populated area does not have indoor coverage then there should be a legal prod towards mobile providers to get that sorted.  That leaves areas like properties in the middle of nowhere, which I guess BBU would be a need.  I have a cheap UPS in my living room, it advertises 45 minutes run time for 10w load, which probably means in reality 10-15 minutes.

EE are finally doing some mast work after lots of prodding as their 5G coverage is outdoor only for me where I live under 1 mile from the city centre.  Its an issue unless the phone is rooted to force it to 4G as it keeps jumping from 4G to 5G and back indoors causes loss of connectivity.

Alex Atkin UK:

--- Quote from: craigski on January 12, 2022, 09:48:48 AM ---I was curious when you said 116Ah, and price was quoted as £18.99 (a lot of battery for that price!).

I just checked spec in detail ,the UPS states 116 power-volt-hours, so assume Wh, the battery says 7Ah.

--- End quote ---

Darn spec sheets, I obviously missed that.  It did puzzle me that the difference seemed a lot bigger than it should be.

--- Quote from: Chrysalis on January 12, 2022, 11:57:03 AM ---Personally I think mobile is enough for emergencies in populated areas

--- End quote ---

My mum wouldn't even know how to connect to WiFi, never mind how to turn on tethering on her phone, nor the cost of doing so.  So everything has to be automated and work should I not be around to fix it.  Granted not an issue during the pandemic as I never leave the house.

But as the router is run off a normal UPS due to having a 12v 5A PSU, the run time would be rather short anyway.  Thus why I'd rather like a beefier 12v UPS, although then there's the darn switch that HAS to run off a normal UPS so its not an easy problem to solve with my setup.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version