Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Placement of NTU and related FTTP gubbins  (Read 5797 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Placement of NTU and related FTTP gubbins
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2022, 11:30:57 PM »

> can you replace the cells in them?

I think not.

I have two of the older smaller ones, one for each of my WAPs. I’m trying to find an excuse to get the larger H ones instead. I’m thinking about using them with my modems instead of the PSUs that ZyXEL supply - those are already on a mains inverter UPS which powers modems, router and two switches.

I bought the base capacity model (as its all they had) a few months back and it appears to have a panel on the side you can remove to replace the cell.  I didn't try removing it but I can't think why else it exists and its about the size of an 18650 cell.  You can see it in the photo you linked, its where the pull tab goes to disconnect the cell during storage/shipping.  For all I know my model might have an empty space for a second cell, would kinda make sense rather than making two discreet models.

The Amazon/eBay Chinese inline units though I suspect have at least four cells though as they're quite heavy.  I tried running an LED light strip off one of the ones I have and it ran for many hours.  Not powerful enough to run my router though sadly due to being a PC, it wont charge if you pull more than 1.5A or so.

Some of my kit isn't 12v - which is a pain e.g Asus router is 19v and switches are direct mains.

That shouldn't be too much of a problem as boost converters are dirt cheap these days due to the explosion in hobbyist/maker projects.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 11:51:05 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

adrianw

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2022, 04:37:58 AM »

Powering the ONT alone is useless though, just buy a UPS.
I have a couple of second hand Dantech DA396 mains powered 4 * 12V * 1A  power supplies (big heavy steel boxes) which have a 12V 7Ah lead acid battery.
Should keep an ONT, router and phone base station going for quite a while.
I intended to use these to power clusters of 12v devices rather than all those <deleted> mains cables and power bricks, but lost my round tuit.
Expensive new, but there is an unused one on Ebay at £35.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2022, 06:29:34 PM »

Openreach are going to be piloting a new “Advanced Install” option which includes:

Advanced installation capabilities:

➤ Up to 100 metres internal wiring from where Openreach network is presented into the premises

➤ More complex cabling, e.g., through multiple walls, new cable trunking

➤ On existing cable trays running horizontally or vertically using cable ties

➤ Through ceiling or floor tiles that are removable and accessible

➤ Using in-situ cabling (structured) to provide service

➤ Connect to existing in-building structured cabling e.g., in comms rooms ‘X’ marks the spot to indicate preference for NTE or ONT install location

➤ Ability to conduct installs over 100m length with Excess Construction Charges (ECCs) applied to pay for additional work beyond the 100m distance – prevailing published ECCs apply.

More at https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2022/04/openreach-uk-to-pilot-new-fttp-broadband-advanced-installs.html

redanalog

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2022, 11:02:30 PM »

Brief I was given was nearest practicable location to lineplant

-ONT needs to be beside power socket
-CSP on other side of wall to ONT (preferrably over blast)
-Straight cable run (or following architechtural features eg following the roof line down

Beyond that, it's left to the Engineers discretion as every job is different and that's why we are paid what we are paid.
FTTP & Copper Engineer
Pages: 1 [2]