Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTTP networking overheads  (Read 1950 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
FTTP networking overheads
« on: January 09, 2022, 11:31:27 PM »

I found this good Cisco article about GPON protocols. The article mentions 30 + 15 = 45 bytes of overheads for GPON and GEM, but that figure seems to depend on a parameter (which they term N) that I don’t understand at all. I also need to find out about the higher levels of the protocol stack at that point, and I would also like to look into the overheads and protocol stack for FTTP further upstream than GPON, across the path to the ISP. Can anyone help me out? (Apologies if I have asked about this before - probably have :) ).
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 11:36:32 PM by Weaver »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: FTTP networking overheads
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 12:01:37 AM »

(Apologies if I have asked about this before - probably have :) ).

I don't recall you previously asking about this topic.  :)  However I will not be able help.  :(
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 11:15:16 PM »

Not familiar with the overheads at PHY layer but happily they don't impact the customer experience unless the PON is congested.

Customers are rate limited at Ethernet layer either via GPON's shapers or the bandwidth of the Ethernet port.

The G.984.4 Implementer’s Guide and the standard itself should be an interesting read.

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2022, 03:22:37 PM »

Hey Weaver :)

That 'N' is a variable field - the upstream MAP tells ONTs/ONUs when to transmit and for how long. If there isn't much demand on the upstream on the PON there will be fewer 8 byte MAPs sent at each MAP period. N just indicates however many 8 byte blocks are needed to provide all the TDMA timeslots for all ONTs. A PON with 16 devices on it that are barely using upstream will not be very populated while one where the split is saturated by 64 ONTs transmitting small frames will need more blocks.

Another overhead mentioned there but not elaborated on is FEC. This is optional on GPON, required on XGSPON.