Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: BT notifications of line speeds  (Read 3908 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: BT notifications of line speeds
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2022, 10:35:39 AM »

UDP still kinda boggles my mind, the idea that you could effectively send as many packets as you'd like with no care for the capacity at the other end.  It amazes me how that can work and that the entire Internet doesn't just grind to a halt.

But then I've also read about services like Cloudflare that have many orders of magnitude excess capacity, in order to absorb DDoS attacks.  I wonder how this is all going to work once everyone has symmetrical speeds, I'd imagine ISPs themselves are going to have to step-up and stop their customers abusing the service.

It kinda makes me nervous setting up Wireguard as while being connectionless is a great benefit for mobile clients, I'd imagine I will be much more open to DDoS attacks.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 10:40:22 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Reformed

• Reg Member
Re: BT notifications of line speeds
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2022, 01:58:56 PM »

ISPs will manage the way they have for a while: lean on bigger ones to filter for them where necessary, and overprovision to soak up smaller attacks.

On the subject of the rate limiting it's to move the responsibility for buffering and dropping traffic off the wholesale provider. This benefits the retail ISP heavily too as they aren't wasting their far more expensive per Mbps connectivity to their wholesaler.

I pay 60 p/Mbps/months for transit and peering in tiny quantities. BTWholesale list price is 100 times that across their network. Best to rate limit before sending across the madly expensive link.

On the matter of DDoS whatever the protocol and whether you're accepting it at your firewall or not it'll consume resources. A gigabit of TCP SYN or UDP junk is a gigabit either way and our broadband links are usually our bottleneck.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 02:05:18 PM by Reformed »
Pages: 1 [2]