Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Zyxel XMG3927 > Bridge Mode > Google Nest WiFi Router help please!  (Read 6157 times)

TylerDurden

• Reg Member
Re: Zyxel XMG3927 > Bridge Mode > Google Nest WiFi Router help please!
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2022, 10:01:18 AM »

If you have a free LAN port on the Nest then you can do it like this - https://kitz.co.uk/routers/zyxel_VMG8324-B10A_bridge.htm
For single cable follow @Crysailis instructions (reply #9) - https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,20226.msg353554

I'd save the current config on the Zyxel first in case it all goes wrong  ::)

Are you talking about this set of instructions?

banger

1 - login to UI of zyxel
2 - select networks -> vlan groups
3 - add group called bridge set vland id to 2, tick the include box on the lan port you want to use. (one used for wan)
4 - select networks -> interface grouping and assign bridge vdsl port to same lan port.
Note you may have already done steps 3 and 4 when setting up the bridge.
5 - now select networks -> home networking
6 - in group name box default is preselected, change this to bridge
7 - make a note of the ip address shown, change if you want to. (to keep things simple change it to 192.168.2.10 and make sure your old modem is not connected so no conflict)

You can now access the zyxel using that ip address on the wan cable, I didnt have to adjust my config on my router compared to my billion it just worked.

I may leave it a few days before trying. I just wanted to get prepared.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2022, 12:12:28 PM »

Are you talking about this set of instructions?

Yes, those are the ones.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2022, 04:21:16 PM »

I wouldn't expect that to work TBH as a "good" router should not be allowing LAN traffic over the WAN port by default.  pfSense for example by default wont accept a private address at all, you have to specifically untick the boxes to tell it to do so  (presumably why CG-NAT is supposed to be done on a specific reserved range not normal LAN ranges).  From what we've heard of the Nest so far, seems unlikely it has such an option.

Plus I don't like bridging the LAN and WAN anyway as potentially its leaking any broadcast traffic onto the telcos network, though I'd assume its dropped at the other end, its still wasted bandwidth.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2022, 06:19:39 PM »

I tried those instructions on my older VMG8924-B10A. It used to work. It no longer does.
It never worked on my VMG1312-B10A.
I don't recall anyone else getting it to work.

I've never been able to successfully get a 1 cable solution working without adding a static route in my router.
I believe I may have had a static route set in my router when using the above institutions?

I'm sure I read Chrys say in a later thread he could no longer get it to work.

Edit: read the whole thread and noticed my reply. My memory isn't what it used to be. I changed modem and router a fair bit over my time on FTTC.

Fortunately there's nothing to monitor on FTTP.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 06:31:46 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

TylerDurden

• Reg Member
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2022, 07:41:57 PM »

Just thinking.

If I turned on the WiFi of the Zyxel could I access the gui and stats through that?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2022, 08:47:51 PM »

Yes.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2022, 05:09:52 AM »

Just thinking.

If I turned on the WiFi of the Zyxel could I access the gui and stats through that?

Remember you'll need to set a static IP on the client or have DHCP enabled on the Zyxel too.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]