Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Code deleted by cat  (Read 730 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Code deleted by cat
« on: January 07, 2022, 07:50:10 PM »

One of my cats, presumably Pangur Bàn, has been sitting on my iPad, so I think, because an iOS Shortcuts program has been deleted. Twice, and it’s the same program. Luckily it’s a short subroutine and I can type most of it in from memory, the remainder requiring a little fiddling and testing. What have they got against this particular subroutine? Could be that it is listed first in a list of programs in a ‘folder’ maybe.

The routine gets the address of the Firebrick and if it is a literal IPv6 address it then encloses it in [ ] because the return value is intended to be suitable for immediate inclusion in a URL. The return value can be either an IPv4 literal, an [IPv6 literal], or a domain name (FQDN). Anything objectionable in that to felines?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Code deleted by cat
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 09:23:51 PM »

If the iPad is warm, then it is an appropriate place to sit.  :cat:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 09:31:33 PM »

Agreed.

He managed to go into the Shortcuts app, if not already open, then opened a container/folder called "subroutines" each time and deleted what was probably the first entry in it. So quite an achievement.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2022, 02:16:53 AM »

As I was reading, my thoughts were "it's a square space".   

It doesn't matter if it is a square or oblong but they have an overwhelming desire to sit in or on them.   It's related to the "if it fits I sit" mentality that cats are known for.   Boxes are seen by them as a place that offers some sort of safety space and and they get the feeling of security from being up against the walls of the box.  It becomes a safe space for them to sleep.

This instinct of the box being of a safe space in some cats extends to a liking of any square space - walls or not. It became an internet craze several years ago showing cats sitting in their "square space" which was nothing more than a square of duct tape marked out on the floor.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2022, 04:33:15 AM »

The mere markings on the floor thing is amazing - says a lot about the cat’s brain, but I don’t understand it.

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 07:49:33 AM »

At one time we had an oriental rug in the sitting room with a circular pattern in the middle. One of our cats was particularly attracted to this spot and always stretched out on it in the evening even from a kitten.
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2022, 08:09:06 PM »

Yes it appears circles too.     

I do believe we had what looks to be an exceedingly similar rug many moons ago
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker