Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Windows XP SP3 and disappearing disk space  (Read 16597 times)

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
Re: Windows XP SP3 and disappearing disk space
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2008, 10:29:22 AM »

Hello again to all who may (or may not) be experiencing this disappearing space problem,

I've been doing a little research on the InterWeb, trying to find out a little more about problems with SP3. Although the disappearing disk space does not seem to be a major problem for many users, it certainly affected my system, and I suspect some others as well. I have now reverted to SP3, as I don't like it when something is happening on my system which I have no reasonable explanation for. OK, maybe I AM anal !!!!

From my research, it would appear that certain manufacturers, HP and Dell were specifically mentioned in a couple of items that I read, may have extra drivers installed in their supplied systems which seem to cause problems with certain systems. The affected systems appear to all have AMD processors, but one of the extraneous drivers that they all appear to install is called intelppm.sys - which it would seem should only be used on systems with Intel processors. At least that's the way I understood it. The problems reported as having started since XP SP3 had been installed are many and varied, the most serious of which means that the affected system keeps rebooting ad infinitum. Not much use for the average computer user.

Anyway, I suppose like many things in life, you pays your money and you takes your choice - use SP3 or don't - your choice.

TTFN

toulouse

Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2008, 02:11:48 PM »

I'd just like to say I'm not having problem (lot of help I am).

I do tend to keep an eye on my space and I lost about half as gig after installing SP3, but have not continued to do so.

Same here, No problems. (as mentioned previously)
I have had SP3 on 2 of my PC's now for some time, both of which have Intel processors.
Apart from the initial loss of space due to the download from the M$ update (not full SP3 install) everything has remained pretty stable.

Although I have plenty of space available, I only ever allocate 20GB for the C: partition.
This was derived at using approximately four times the average install size, (at the time this was about 5GB) although it has changed slightly since then, but I still maintain a 20GB C: partition, which then still leaves plenty of room for further programs if required.
Any more then this would just be a waste of storage space, that would/could never be used.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2008, 02:36:28 PM »

Did you monitor your 'temp' folder during these problems ?.
Maybe some of your software did not like sp3 and kept dumping into 'temp' folder and trying to reload itself over and over.

Edit ...also use file manager to monitor whats running.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2008, 02:58:13 PM »

@tickmike

Yes, the 'temp' folder was empty throughout these problems as far as I can recall. It was in fact the first place I checked, thinking along the lines that if it was an application creating temporary files, that that's where they would be. haven't got to the bottom of it yet, but until SP3 becomes a must have, I think it's best if I leave it alone for now. At least until I work out how to install a bigger drive without losing the contents of the one I'm using now. (It's a Packard Bell machine which can only accomodate one HD, and there's something special that you have to do to preserve the contents I think)

TTFN

toulouse

FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2008, 03:56:17 PM »

I think it's best if I leave it alone for now.
At least until I work out how to install a bigger drive without losing the contents of the one I'm using now.

Three possible solutions would be to:-

1) If there is not a second IDE connection on the ribbon lead, then you could change the lead and install a second drive on a temporary basis. (Followed by No4 below)

2) Using a USB to IDE "adaptor"
On the new drive, first of all partition it how you would eventually want it to be, IE
Partition 1 (C:) = 20GB?
Partition 2 = GB?
(Followed by No4 below)

3) Install your original drive into a second PC. (Followed by No4 below)

4) - Now, create a "Ghost Image" of your original C: partition/drive onto "partition 2" of the new drive.
 Install the new drive, replacing the old drive.
 Re-install the Ghost image file from partition 2, to partition 1 (C:)

Note:
The original size of the partition/s do not matter, as it only copies the actual data.
If using Norton Ghost, this can be done with using either a floppy drive rescue disc, or you would need the actual CD to use the rescue facility on the disc.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 04:00:27 PM by oldfogy »

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2008, 04:05:56 PM »

The job needn't break the bank... here's an example: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/120289
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2008, 05:05:15 PM »

Ok, first a thank you to OF and Floydoid for your suggestions.

Now, a little more by way of explanation about my XP system.

I purchased it from PC World around 2005. It is a Packard Bell Imedia 1208/1280 (can't remember exactly). It was supplied as a complete system with display, keyboard, mouse, etc. and 80GB hard disk, but no installation media. The HD contains 1 hidden and 2 visible partitions (C: - programs, D: - data). I believe that the hidden partition is used for recovery data, and I also understand that if you attempt to restore from that recovery partition, the machine will be set back to how it left the factory. In other words, everything that has been installed since I purchased it will need to be reinstalled (including a shed load of Windows updates) or am I wrong ? I also understand that this recovery process is only successful some of the time, i.e. it may not work at all.

I have recently purchased a new 160GB HD, but before attempting to install that I thought I'd take a look at the Packard Bell website which has all sorts of helpful 'stuff' about upgrades. It turns out that the case can only physically accomodate one HD (it's a restriction in the case construction apparently, although I haven't taken it apart to look yet).   

What I would like to do is to install the new 160GB HD into a machine, along with the XP 80GB HD, and after partitioning the new drive copy everything from the old to the new. At the same time hopefully preserving absolutely EVERYTHING required that is currently on the old drive, including whatever is in that recovery partition.

Now it may be that I'm making more of this situation than I need to, but I would hate to have to go back to how this machine was originally delivered and try and remember what is currently on the HD and attempt to reinstall it all again. So, I figure that what may be the best way to go is to back up each visible partition, i.e. C: and D: to CD or more likely DVD - the only problem then is how to access the hidden one for backup and restore.

Now, OldFogey mentioned a Norton product called Ghost, with which I'm not familiar. Would it be likely that that product could assist me with this situation ?

I guess what I am looking for is someone to 'hold my hand' through this little adventure, so obviously I would love to hear from any other Packard Bell owners who may have already trodden this route and installed a larger drive in their system, or maybe just a precise step by step guide through the process.

Sorry if I seem a little anal about this, but I definitely don't want to screw this system up.

TTFN

toulouse   
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2008, 05:45:26 PM »

1. Now it may be that I'm making more of this situation than I need to,

2. Now, OldFogey mentioned a Norton product called Ghost, with which I'm not familiar.
Would it be likely that that product could assist me with this situation ?

3. I guess what I am looking for is someone to 'hold my hand' through this little adventure,

4. Sorry if I seem a little anal about this, but I definitely don't want to screw this system up.

1. Not at all, if you have never done it before, then this is quite understandable.

2. Yes, Norton Ghost will achieve what you want to do.
(although there are also other product which will do the same thing also "possibly even free programs")
 but as I only ever use Ghost, then that is the only program I can relate to and recommend.

3. No problem, just read carefully, and anything you don't understand just come back and ask.

4. ditto.

At present you only have one drive split into three partitions, C: D: E:
Basically a restore disc usually only consist of a "Image file" of the C: partition. (When first installed)
And should not effect the other partitions, so you should not lose any data on your D: partition.

(or in some cases "A Clone of the actual HDD" BUT this type of restore/clone is very rarely used and would have to be on a totally different HDD "which you don't have" so it can't be that) so we can forget that.
Mainly only used to Clone one HDD to another. (to copy the entire disc, along with partitions etc)

Firstly, you can't just copy the data from your C: drive onto another drive, "it will not work" it has to be "Imaged" so that it also copies all of the hidden data from the MBR (Master Boot Record)

But, yes you can copy the data from the other two partitions onto the new partitions of your new drives partitions.

Question:
Did your new drive not come with any software to enable you to do this?
If not, then sometimes this is available from the HDD manufacture.

edit:
Just remembered:
- If you have a DVD burner on your PC, you could backup to DVD,
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 06:08:42 PM by oldfogy »
Pages: 1 [2]