Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Kitz' Current xDSL Service  (Read 2137 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Kitz' Current xDSL Service
« on: January 06, 2022, 12:20:35 PM »

[This topic has been created by splitting off the posts from the "G.fast reconnection" thread.]

Ironically I could get FTTP, its been here a while... but just right now my health isnt good and over the past year I've have to pay people & carers to do things I can no longer do myself... so paying more for broadband when this connection works perfectly well seems pointless.

Isn't 80/20 FTTP effectively the same price?  I'd expect you also to qualify for BT Home Essentials?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 04:11:47 PM by burakkucat »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Kitz' Current xDSL Service
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2022, 02:04:02 PM »

Isn't 80/20 FTTP effectively the same price?  I'd expect you also to qualify for BT Home Essentials?

Would a lifeline pendant work over FTTP, surely an FTTC connection with failover copper line dialup works better in this situation?

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2022, 11:22:46 PM »

Would a lifeline pendant work over FTTP, surely an FTTC connection with failover copper line dialup works better in this situation?

Good point, I think this is a real concern with the POTS switch-off, the manufacturers have to adapt eventually but my worry is if your broadband went down at just the wrong moment things could end badly.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 12:15:59 AM »

Nope not on any of those benefits. 

Re the tech specifics will follow up later
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2022, 06:21:55 PM »

[This topic has been created by splitting off the posts from the "G.fast reconnection" thread.]

Isn't 80/20 FTTP effectively the same price?

With BT it is.
FTTP is more expensive on lots of other providers.

kitz current ISP also doesn't even sell FTTP. She may have a number of Plusnet referrals she wishes to keep or might just want to remain with Plusnet.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2022, 06:23:17 PM »

Hi Kitz

If your area got FTTP, you might be lucky to take that Gigaclear who offers 200/200 same speed as up and down for just £17 a month for 18 months if Gigaclear are available in your area. That's pretty so CHEAP!

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2022, 06:56:33 PM »

It's Openreach FTTP that's available to kitz, not Gigaclear.

Gigaclear have quite limited coverage, mainly in rural areas.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2022, 07:25:35 PM »

Good point, I think this is a real concern with the POTS switch-off, the manufacturers have to adapt eventually but my worry is if your broadband went down at just the wrong moment things could end badly.

Reading up, the current lifeline pendant makes a landline call, options are either an ata or switch to a mobile lifeline solution for an fttp connection.

But so many sites reference GSM as the mobile technology used.
Others state hold onto the copper line just for voice as long as possible for the lifeline pendant.
Nothing like doubling costs for what is a potential life saving service.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2022, 07:29:12 PM »

Hi Kitz

If your area got FTTP, you might be lucky to take that Gigaclear who offers 200/200 same speed as up and down for just £17 a month for 18 months if Gigaclear are available in your area. That's pretty so CHEAP!

My parents can get Gigaclear, they are not interested.
Reasons being they use their landline, and a 62/20 FTTC service is perfectly decent.

Gigaclear as a provider seems to be operating at a loss, prices are very cheap, but out of contract they triple, you can also read the wholesale partners price list and it just sounds expensive.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2022, 12:05:39 PM »

We have to remember not everyone is a internet geek, and even those of us who are we may have other priorities in life, I certainly remember the time I needed carers, and during that time the only thing I was concerned about with my internet connection is if it did the basics.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2022, 06:42:17 PM »

> only thing I was concerned about with my internet connection is if it did the basics.

That’s me to a certain degree. I see adslmax has an internet connection that is about 120 times faster than one of my lines (or 40 times faster than the combined pipe, say) and it would be nice to have some more speed as downloads wouldn’t take hours, but much more importantly Janet and I would be able to use the Internet at the same time without scheduling our usage.

For me though, total reliability is the thing that matters, and that’s what I get.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2022, 11:57:27 PM »

Gigaclear as a provider seems to be operating at a loss, prices are very cheap, but out of contract they triple, you can also read the wholesale partners price list and it just sounds expensive.

I'm certainly a bit cautious about a provider running at a loss, after the whole Digital Region fiasco.  Although the running costs of FTTP should be a lot lower than FTTC and should they go under I'd expect it to be much more appealing for another network to buy up that fiber and use it.

adrianw

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2022, 04:07:41 AM »

But so many sites reference GSM as the mobile technology used.
My Mother's panic / fall detector, bought from Techsilver, just uses GSM.
Works well, if only she would wear the bracelet or pendant :(

Dave2150

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2022, 08:59:20 AM »

In my experience, there's always a group of people who'll cling to older technology with much vigor. This could be for many reasons including financial, though for DSL to FTTP, there's also the loss of ability to spend time monitoring line statistics and tinker; something that many have grown used to enjoying and committing much time to. FTTP is superior in every way, though a child has the same proficiency in connecting to it (via ethernet or Wifi) as someone who is an expect at xDSL line statistics/modem manipulation/confguration. There's an element of "letting go" that will cause some to cling onto their xDSL until the bitter end.

This is why the project to completely strip out the copper network, forcing everyone onto FTTP, is so important. Luckily, as the country's finances are in shambles, I highly doubt the government will give BT the billions it would need to extend the life of the copper network, even once we get more people complaining of lack of landline use during rare power outages in the most remotest of rural locations in the UK. I do think they should get a large government subsidy to supply larger batteries to such rural locations though, to keep these people safe. Really is no excuse then.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2022, 12:03:04 PM »

> get more people complaining of lack of landline use during rare power outages in the most remotest of rural locations in the UK. I do think they should get a large government subsidy to supply larger batteries to such rural locations though, to keep these people safe. Really is no excuse then.

from personal experience, I know how critical this is. Couldn’t agree more. Need big lead acid batteries with long enough runtime to get larger UPSes or generators out to the remotest places, so many hours run time needed. It’s such a small number of people concerned that it should not be expensive.

The killer is that we need to ensure that the mobile networks don’t go down when there is an event affecting the mains power network. I have mentioned before that where I am, every time there’s some mains outage or lightning storm, the basestation goes out to lunch, a situation that seems to me outrageous. Reliable 4G and voice can act as a reliable replacement for 999 over landlines provided that you do actually have coverage, which some here don’t, and provided the mobile network doesn’t also fail when it’s needed the most.
Pages: [1] 2

anything