Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fastest desktop  (Read 6383 times)

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Fastest desktop
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2021, 12:20:59 AM »

AWD gives a couple of example builds to work from: https://www.awd-it.co.uk/

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2021, 06:20:08 AM »

> Does it need to run Windows

No.

As some of you know, I can’t sit upright for any length of time so I would not be able to build a machine, I would need ti have a machine prebuilt, and I would need a server form-factor box that I can SSH-login to, that’s what I do with my Raspberry Pi - I log into it from in bed on my iPad.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2021, 10:25:39 AM »

Ultimately you want a motherboard with IPMI, my server uses a Supermicro motherboard with IPMI, and it's brilliant, no need for a monitor, as long as its got power and a network connection I can remotely access it and turn it on, enter the BIOS, update the BIOS, install the OS, reboot it, even log in and use it all remotely vis IPMI (RDP gives a better experience though).

But that feature comes at a cost, both financially and with lost of other functionality, and they are often difficult to source, and there are not many boards that handle Ryzen desktop CPU's.

Here's one example, but I'm sure there will be cheaper options https://www.scan.co.uk/search?q=+X570D4U-2L2T+
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 10:37:27 AM by Ronski »
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2021, 12:59:40 PM »

> Does it need to run Windows

No.

As some of you know, I can’t sit upright for any length of time so I would not be able to build a machine, I would need ti have a machine prebuilt, and I would need a server form-factor box that I can SSH-login to, that’s what I do with my Raspberry Pi - I log into it from in bed on my iPad.

Does it need to be x86 architecture?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2021, 07:49:42 PM »

It most definitely has to be x86-64. I already have an ARM64 device btw. The reason is that I want to revive my asm skills. Used to write sam all the time at work, before I switched to C in 1987.

Ronski makes an excellent point - something I didn’t know about.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 07:53:12 PM by Weaver »

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2021, 10:01:23 PM »

It need to be super fast to link and assemble x86-64 assembly?

That's definitely going to be a very single-threaded operation and I highly recommend a processor with relatively few, high clock cores for this.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html is worth a look for single thread performance.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-12600KF&id=4625 looks to be in a good place for price and single thread performance with the bonus of having big and little cores to play with.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2021, 10:20:20 AM »

That's a good point, nobody is going to really do testing on assembler these days as everything is abstracted to a much higher level.

Surely though that means anything written in assembler is likely to be fairly primitive in comparison so not take long to compile on any modern system?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2021, 05:51:18 PM »

Indeed, what Alex said. If I have to write anything in ASM, then I wrap it in a C or D procedure and compile it with GCC. That way you make sure that the high-level language register-passing requirements are done right.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2021, 07:14:44 PM »

Is the big.little type architecture supported properly in the Linux kernel but not in Windows then ?

What’s the 5900x like?

As you may well understand, I can’t build one, as I can’t sit upright for long enough so I would need a machine built. I won’t be using a monitor or keyboard other than for bare minimum admin. My current Raspberry Pi is used entirely via SSH from my iPad while I’m in bed.

Windows 11 has some support, although its not working 100% currently.

Linux I am not so sure, phoronix hasnt tested the chips yet.  Although Android supports big/little, that is for mobile phone chips and also on a special android fork of linux, not sure if all that stuff is in the desktop/server variants.

I personally think its too early to invest in Alder Lake, so Ryzen is the way to go in my opinion, 5950x, 5900x ot 5600x.  Depending on budget and cores you want.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2021, 02:28:35 AM »

Thanks to reformed for that link - very useful.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything