Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jurassic Park  (Read 2651 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Jurassic Park
« on: December 31, 2021, 10:32:50 PM »

I’m wondering if there is a server somewhere on the web that provides an online virtual WinNT 4.0 with a working desktop, IE etc. I’d quite like to connect to such a machine over the web and play around with some of those 1990s-era operating systems. I don’t know if such a thing would be feasible at all. To make things worse, I don’t have a mouse.

neil

• Reg Member
Re: Jurassic Park
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2022, 08:38:33 PM »

and I thought Jurassic park movie  :D
VDSL FTTC 35/18

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2022, 12:32:40 AM »

Can't find one, but there is Windows 2000 running in a Javascript VM so I would think it could be run the same way?  There are probably no network or video drivers though, might melt the iPad too.

There's also mention how how to run it in a VM https://i12bretro.github.io/tutorials/0077.html
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2022, 01:51:28 AM »

God in heaven, how did Fabrice manage to do that ?

That is by the great Fabrice Bellard who wrote the genius LZEXE program. This compressed an executable, then prepended a little decompressor MS-DOS executable to the front of the compressed data file and then turned the whole thing into a DOS .exe. So all your favourite programs, just half the size on disk. Load the exe, decompresses on the fly into RAM and then jumps into it and runs the real payload code. My employers licensed the LZEXE decompressor program from Fabrice to use in a number of .exe files in a new laptop that they were building.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2022, 06:06:29 AM »

Having dabbled in some light Javascript, it boggles my mind indeed.  Its hard enough to get it to do basic things.  But am aware there's a whole bunch of Javascript emulators on sites like archive.org, for old MS-DOS games, etc.  They use a JS port of MAME and DOSBOX.

I used an executable compressor on Amiga back in the day, absolute magic when dealing with floppy disks.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 06:09:31 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors