Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: YouFibre FTTP  (Read 16941 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: YouFibre FTTP
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2022, 03:12:04 AM »

Depends how they implement IPv6, if its not a fixed prefix then its just as bad as a dynamic IP.

Its also not a replacement for a fixed IPv4 unless you can guarantee what you want a fixed IP for is only accessed via IPv6.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

chriskross

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2022, 07:48:32 AM »

Good points. I don't currently have anything that would require a fixed IP, but having had one from my Demon days and several years of v6 on AAISP it doesn't feel right moving to an ISP with the latest kit not offering v6.

Dwight

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2022, 08:10:30 AM »

Hi Skyeci
Back on Topic! ;)
They will be available in my area once Netomnia have finished their install. So if all things work out I'll probably go for them. As the offer symmetrical broadband.
Regards.
David.

chriskross

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2022, 11:36:02 AM »

No firm date but shouldn't be long!
I've now placed an order but the sales guy thought IPv6 has been delayed.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2022, 12:32:28 PM »

I ended up continuing with Zen from fttc to fttp. Even though netomnia started work in January they wouldn't commit to any live dates. In the meantime openreach came along and did our estate . You fibre still isn't live in our area even after the promo letters they keep sending and they still won't commit to a live date.
Hopefully when my zen contract is out you fibre will be live as I would like a symmetrical connection.

I am running zen's fixed ipv6 on my opnsense box and it's working just great.

XGS_Is_On

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2022, 01:12:06 PM »

They have v6 available to a bunch of customers. Wonder if perhaps there are some odd areas waiting for it so they haven't confirmed on the site that it's done.
YouFibre You8000 customer: symmetrical 8 Gbps.

Yes, more money than sense. Story of my life.

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2022, 10:43:36 AM »

They have v6 available to a bunch of customers. Wonder if perhaps there are some odd areas waiting for it so they haven't confirmed on the site that it's done.

Correct, it's not rolled out everywhere yet

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2022, 12:33:16 PM »

Just following my post up from last December. Today netomnia contractors are pulling fibre through the openreach chambers on to our estate. Good to see this finally happening. I will be migrating eventually once my zen contract is up as I woukd like a symmetrical connection.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2022, 08:43:37 AM »

Glad to hear that they are progressing.
AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2022, 01:11:31 PM »

I ended up continuing with Zen from fttc to fttp. Even though netomnia started work in January they wouldn't commit to any live dates. In the meantime openreach came along and did our estate . You fibre still isn't live in our area even after the promo letters they keep sending and they still won't commit to a live date.
Hopefully when my zen contract is out you fibre will be live as I would like a symmetrical connection.

I am running zen's fixed ipv6 on my opnsense box and it's working just great.

Really would some kind of explanation from industry Insiders how Openreach can be so much quicker than altnets.

I suppose as you discovering FTTP is like buses, once one turns up, another and another will come.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2022, 01:47:31 PM »

Ironically the street next to ours which didn't have fftp from openreach now has 4 vans working like the clappers.... I think they are looking  to catch up with netomnia..

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2022, 03:26:02 PM »

Really would some kind of explanation from industry Insiders how Openreach can be so much quicker than altnets.

I suppose as you discovering FTTP is like buses, once one turns up, another and another will come.
I'm sure having such ready access to ducts and poles has to be a big part of it.  In most cases there is already fibre literally to the street cabinet in a given area.  It has to be a massive plus. 

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2022, 04:13:51 PM »

Have a gander at that news article meritez posted - https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,27340.0.html - the title of it may have dissuaded folk from clicking on it, as it appears to be just about London ... but it isn't, it's nationwide.

Waaaay too many alt-nets in this industry now. OR will end up picking up the pieces.

dee.jay

• Helpful
  • Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2022, 08:09:03 AM »

The next few years are going to be a fun ride, especially as I work for one…

AAISP 1000/115 FTTP routed by opnsense on proxmox. Even my WiFi is baller

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2022, 10:49:22 AM »

Waaaay too many alt-nets in this industry now. OR will end up picking up the pieces.

Its kinda crazy given its such a huge uphill battle as an alt-net unless you have really wide coverage to a point its worth regular ISPs interconnecting to you or no competition.

Mind you OFCOM can be a barrier too, I remember with Digital Region they weren't allowed to advertise on the cabinets and they foolishly expected ISPs to do all the advertising, so nobody knew it existed.  Curiously when OR arrived they WERE allowed to advertise on their cabinets which gave them an unfair advantage, not that Digital Region were likely to recover at that point.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

anything