Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: YouFibre FTTP  (Read 16947 times)

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
YouFibre FTTP
« on: December 24, 2021, 08:58:36 PM »

Any you fibre fttp users about? Netomnia are building 1gb symmetrical fttp in our town q1 of 2022 which I found out very recently. They tell me my estate will be done (using existing ducts)...
The isp will be you fibre. Any one using them at the moment? - hope I can use my opnsense router...

Can't wait to get off my eci cab. Early Christmas present...roll on 2022 ;D

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: YouFibre FTTP
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2021, 03:31:31 AM »

hope I can use my opnsense router...

Doesn't sound like an issue: https://www.youfibre.com/support/articles/i-already-have-a-router-can-i-use-the-same-one-when-i-join-youfibre

You'll probably have an easier time than I will on Zen as I suspect from their generic claim they must only be using DHCP rather than PPP which is what is going to hammer my box.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2021, 09:50:42 AM »

Thanks.

Have to say Zen have been  no trouble and can't moan really. No problems with ipv6 either. Been over 2 years buy they are more expensive than the likes of sky etc.

I would stay if it wasn't for fttp coming along next year

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2021, 10:44:25 AM »

I meant the raw power needed to push Gigabit over PPP vs plain Ethernet, not unique to Zen.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2021, 05:52:33 PM »

OpenWRT will handle gigabit. Sounds like pfSense need to fix their software.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2021, 06:06:32 PM »

OpenWRT will handle gigabit. Sounds like pfSense need to fix their software.

Oh it will handle it, but alongside several OpenVPN instances with QoS enabled, that may become an issue.

AFAIK all implementations of PPP and OpenWRT are inherently single-threaded which is the bottleneck.

The point is an ISP that doesn't use PPP can run on a much less powerful router than one that does as PPP is a real CPU hog.

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2021, 07:26:29 PM »

https://medium.com/avenum-technology-blog/benchmarking-pppoe-connections-with-openwrt-and-opnsense-f5fe6c30b70 among others are why I mentioned OpenWRT. Academic given you've the same box doing termination, firewall and VPN concentrator so configuration somewhat complex but thought I should explain.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2021, 07:16:32 AM »

https://medium.com/avenum-technology-blog/benchmarking-pppoe-connections-with-openwrt-and-opnsense-f5fe6c30b70 among others are why I mentioned OpenWRT. Academic given you've the same box doing termination, firewall and VPN concentrator so configuration somewhat complex but thought I should explain.

That's really interesting, but as you pointed out I really wouldn't fancy trying to replicate this configuration on OpenWRT, even if I do prefer Linux.  Honestly that Atom is 10 years old and was a weak CPU even at the time, I'm kinda shocked OpenWRT was able to perform so well.

I'm actually testing out moving a couple of my OpenVPN instances over to Wireguard.  Unfortunately there seems no easy way to specify what WAN to use with Wireguard, or I'd probably switch them all over.  From what I can gather Wireguard is much more fault tolerant down to less overhead and assuming the link is always up, so a little bit of packet loss wont bring the link down restarting the firewall like OpwnVPN does.

Oh one thing about OpenWRT vs pfSense/OPNsense, the power management seems awful in FreeBSD.

I have a newer appliance (i5-8250U) that I was considering as a replacement for the current one (just in case) but it clocks at 1.6Ghz vs boosting to 3.2Ghz on Linux, as FreeBSD seems to be ignoring that the TDP is unlocked and sticks to the default.   PowerD behaves oddly even on the 7200U, I ended up disabling it and letting it lock to 2.4Ghz.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 07:17:33 PM by Alex Atkin UK »

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2021, 01:57:25 PM »

Yes you can use whatever router you like, you get an eero on install but what you connect to the ONT after that is up to you :)

We use DHCP not PPP or anything fancy like that, any other questions give me a holla

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2021, 05:47:58 PM »

Yes you can use whatever router you like, you get an eero on install but what you connect to the ONT after that is up to you :)

Great. Thanks for the info. When is ipv6 coming along?

We use DHCP not PPP or anything fancy like that, any other questions give me a holla

[Moderator edited to fix the [quote][/quote] tags.]
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 04:00:28 PM by burakkucat »

bogof

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2021, 08:37:01 AM »

I meant the raw power needed to push Gigabit over PPP vs plain Ethernet, not unique to Zen.
Do any Openreach FTTP based ISPs use DHCP?

PPPoE I guess  confers a small extra layer of security in exchange for its overhead.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2021, 11:13:42 AM »

Sky and Talktalk residential.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2022, 02:55:05 AM »

PPPoE I guess  confers a small extra layer of security in exchange for its overhead.

According to this http://www.zcorum.com/wp-content/uploads/Why-Should-I-Move-from-PPPoA-or-PPPoE-to-DHCP.pdf the major benefit is just accounting and backwards compatibility.

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2022, 11:47:34 AM »

Great. Thanks for the info. When is ipv6 coming along?

[Moderator edited to fix the [quote][/quote] tags.]

No firm date but shouldn't be long!

chriskross

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2022, 09:53:33 PM »

I'm seriously considering YouFibre having been offered a great deal, but it still says v6 is still on its way. I'd rather have that than pay for a static IP. Any news? And why wouldn't a brand new service deploy IPv6?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

anything