Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: FTTC - Interleaved again!  (Read 7661 times)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: FTTC - Interleaved again!
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2021, 12:18:06 PM »

If you do get interleaved again does an 8ms delay really make that much of a difference to how you use the connection as I'm not sure I'd even notice it?
 :)

I used to be really picky about it myself, now I'm balancing between 14ms on Zen and 46ms on Lebara which seems to have pages loading the fastest I've ever seen.  Jitter is about 8ms on Lebara too.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

HitmanAlex

« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2021, 02:43:56 PM »

I used to be really picky about it myself, now I'm balancing between 14ms on Zen and 46ms on Lebara which seems to have pages loading the fastest I've ever seen.  Jitter is about 8ms on Lebara too.

I know it seems silly for 8ms's but when I've had it for so long and that some games I play are heavily placed around good ping. So the closer to 0 the better, I'm pretty sure FTTP would even further reduce this latency?

Does anyone know at (guessing) what the latency would look like e.g. pinging bbc.co.uk = 8ms would FTTP put that at like 3/4ms?

On another note, my interleaving has been off so far fingers cross along with an increase of 6-8Mb download and 1-2mb upload. (Link Uptime 16 days, 20 hours, 38 minutes, 46 seconds)

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2021, 03:31:31 PM »

Openreach FTTP is around 2ms lower latency compared to Openreach FTTC.

That's based on an FTTC line with no added latency (fastpath or Retx/G.INP enabled) and using the same ISP, backhaul and routing.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2021, 06:58:38 PM »

Yeah I'm pretty sure the lowest latency over FTTP is 6ms and is entirely dependent on how close to London you are thanks to how the backhaul gets routed.

Although saying that I got 8ms to Plusnet from Sheffield which seemed really low considering the above.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

HitmanAlex

« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2021, 11:30:22 AM »

Hi all,

thank you for the information.

Looks like my luck ran out :D

Interleaving is back on lost 3 or so Mb download speed :(.

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2021, 12:00:14 PM »

Yeah I'm pretty sure the lowest latency over FTTP is 6ms and is entirely dependent on how close to London you are thanks to how the backhaul gets routed.

Goes under 2 if on the right ISP and in London or surroundings. Round trip to OLT via GPON is 1.1-1.5 ms, mostly around 1.3.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2021, 01:23:11 PM »

Goes under 2 if on the right ISP and in London or surroundings. Round trip to OLT via GPON is 1.1-1.5 ms, mostly around 1.3.

That would explain how I got as low as 8ms on Plusnet FTTC and possibly why 6ms being the lowest I've seen mentioned on FTTP as that's probably the average for most of England and Wales.

We can't complain, my friend in Texas gets 60ms minimum to most places as that's how much it takes to reach most PoP in the US as they tend to be further north.  If I recall correctly I get around 60ms to New York but it doubles to Texas as there's no faster route.  We joke about Texas broadband using horseback or carrier pigeon.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2021, 02:39:06 PM »

This ^^

Most BT Wholesale FTTP in and around London is sub 2ms to London based servers.
Equivalent FTTC is in the 4-5ms region.

In a previous thread CarlT was monitoring his latency between home and the Nokia 7750 in the exchange and was getting between 1.1ms -1.3ms, averaging 1.2ms.

Looks like my luck ran out :D

Interleaving is back on lost 3 or so Mb download speed :(.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread but not sure if you read it...

Did you try capping the sync speed to keep Interleaving off?

It can be very effective at lowering the ES numbers enough to keep a line on fastpath.

More info in the sticky at the top of this forum section.

Speed Capping and ES Rates on a Moderately Noisy Line

It very much looks like your line is unable to maintain fastpath with full sync. That's a number of times in a short time period it has gone back to Interleaving.

If you cap the sync speed at the rate the line syncs at when interleaved you may find that's sufficient to keep ES low enough to stay on fastpath.

HitmanAlex

« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2021, 06:35:09 PM »

This ^^

Most BT Wholesale FTTP in and around London is sub 2ms to London based servers.
Equivalent FTTC is in the 4-5ms region.

In a previous thread CarlT was monitoring his latency between home and the Nokia 7750 in the exchange and was getting between 1.1ms -1.3ms, averaging 1.2ms.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread but not sure if you read it...

Did you try capping the sync speed to keep Interleaving off?

It can be very effective at lowering the ES numbers enough to keep a line on fastpath.

More info in the sticky at the top of this forum section.

Speed Capping and ES Rates on a Moderately Noisy Line

It very much looks like your line is unable to maintain fastpath with full sync. That's a number of times in a short time period it has gone back to Interleaving.

If you cap the sync speed at the rate the line syncs at when interleaved you may find that's sufficient to keep ES low enough to stay on fastpath.

Hi J0hn,

Apologies i did see this but didn't want to mess about with it as it was running okay, I did this before on a vigor (i know Broadcom chipset is better for ECI) adjusting the SNR. It never hit the same speeds but when i capped using SNR it went worse.

Hopefully in a next few weeks i might be ordering 1Gbps FTTP. Just waiting on some info before i proceed with limiting speeds. If i can get FTTP then waiting for 7 days etc for interleaving to be removed would be pointless if i can get FTTP shortly after :).

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2021, 01:39:19 AM »

Absolutely. A connection without the DLM is better than having to limit the connection to avoid the DLM.

HitmanAlex

« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2021, 07:38:13 PM »

Absolutely. A connection without the DLM is better than having to limit the connection to avoid the DLM.

I think the DLM has just had enough of me anyway :D

This doesn't make any sense :S
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 07:43:25 PM by HitmanAlex »

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2021, 09:41:43 PM »

Well FTTP will be the answer! Have you got that sorted?
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

HitmanAlex

« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2021, 11:36:55 PM »

Well FTTP will be the answer! Have you got that sorted?

Hi g3uiss,

I got the leaflet through the post from litfibre.com, according to ispreview it's set to start offering services as early as January. Considering I got the Leaflet and at the top of my road they was putting in duct's i hope that means good results.

The rep at litfibre.com confirmed that they are working within my precise postcode within the next 2 weeks. Just waiting for them to send me an email so i can order straight away :), going for that 1Gbps Up/Down.

Does the graphs make any sense why they are being so random while i'm still on FTTC would be nice if there is some explanation to these wacky results :D

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #73 on: December 21, 2021, 09:41:25 AM »

The fluctuation is normal accentuated by the scale of the graph.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]