Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Radar and VDSL  (Read 895 times)

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
Radar and VDSL
« on: December 24, 2021, 11:12:48 AM »

Greetings

I was wondering if anyone knows the effects of a radar on VDSL signal? My Fritzbox has detected 'radar' in the vicinity :'( and while I know its impact on 5GHz WiFi, I know nothing about its effect on VDSL, if any. (There seems to be some kind of relationship between when the radar was detected and 'dripping blood' spikes, but this, of course, could be coincidental.)

Thank you.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 11:52:21 AM by Edinburgh_lad »

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Radar and VDSL
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2021, 01:05:32 PM »

Greetings

I was wondering if anyone knows the effects of a radar on VDSL signal?

None what so ever.

The Fritzbox will be detecting radar on the DFS channels as is (was) required by regulation to prevent residential 5GHz WiFi interfering with radar.
AIUI OFCOM have relaxed the 5GHz DFS channels now but I'm yet to see any routers implement the changes.

All UK radar uses frequencies way above the VDSL2 spectrum.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2021, 01:14:46 PM »

Thank you very much.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2021, 01:54:00 PM »

None what so ever.

The Fritzbox will be detecting radar on the DFS channels as is (was) required by regulation to prevent residential 5GHz WiFi interfering with radar.
AIUI OFCOM have relaxed the 5GHz DFS channels now but I'm yet to see any routers implement the changes.

All UK radar uses frequencies way above the VDSL2 spectrum.

Mikrotik have made this change:
OFCOM statement was here in 2020: https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0036/198927/6ghz-statement.pdf

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2021, 03:36:51 AM »

Its only relaxed on band C which very few clients support as it required the end user buy a license from OFCOM to use before.

I had this argument with Zyxel as their AP doesn't support it as they claimed "most clients do not" but newer clients (Windows 11 with WiFi 6/6e cards) do which to me is the whole point of going WiFi 6, to use WiFi 6 clients.  The issue I believe is they have to pay to have their devices certified again if they enable new channels, to make sure they don't create undue interference outside their spectrum.

I mean you'd think they would do that as a matter of course for the entire band the chipset can handle, but it seems not.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2021, 03:40:25 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

anything