Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Anyone know what a hot site engineer is for an Openreach FTTP install  (Read 965 times)

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

I have a 1000/115 FTTP order stuck awaiting install due to needing a hot site engineer?

licquorice

• Reg Member
Re: Anyone know what a hot site engineer is for an Openreach FTTP install
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2021, 02:52:50 PM »

No idea these days, but hot sites were at Electricity Sub stations where the 'earth' potential could be several hundred volts above normal earth. https://greymattersglobal.com/hot-site/

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2021, 03:24:18 PM »

Phone and electricity served from the same pole?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2021, 03:42:07 PM »

Licq has nailed it.

It's exactly that, these are generating stations/sub-stations/transformer sites, where the on-site earth potential can become faulty and rise to (get this) 10,000V difference between that and our remotely transmitted Telephone Exchange earth !!

Have worked on lots of these sites and in a nutshell, there is a need to install LIU (Line Isolating Units) to protect the equipment being plugged into the broadband circuit. Now then, i have only ever worked on the copper side of things, so uncertain how this pertains to FTTP ??

As an aside, I remember one guy at our local generation station who took me for a walk around the place and it was a pretty damp day, you could 'feel' the static energy, quite scary if i'm being honest.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2021, 05:29:29 PM »

Quickly looked at one of our policy docs and there are still rules and regs to FTTP on hot-sites, but mainly it pertains to the use of O/H hybrid dropwire.

If the hybrid option IS to be used, then the copper element of the cable should absolutely not be connected for any purpose. In fact, there was an addendum stating that new FODW (Fibre Only Drop Wire) has been introduced, since the policies creation.

Compared to copper installs, it sounds pretty much straight forward.

anything