Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: MikroTik RouterOS v7 is finally here!  (Read 5600 times)

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

aesmith

• Kitizen
Re: MikroTik RouterOS v7 is finally here!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2021, 03:50:09 PM »

I guess you're already running this on your RB5009. Have you had enough of a play to comment on whether it's worth deploying on older models?

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2021, 08:59:33 PM »

I would recommend caution, depending what you're doing with your equipment.

Seems okay for basic functionality. I had to work around a couple of bugs but my layout is more complex than most.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2021, 09:06:55 PM »

I guess you're already running this on your RB5009. Have you had enough of a play to comment on whether it's worth deploying on older models?

I don't really have a choice on the rb5009, it came with 7.

My hap ac2, rb2011uias, rb3011, wap AC, rb750gr3 are all doing well on it too.
Might boot my rb951ui, rb951g, cap lite, wap2nd, cap2n, rb750up, map2nd and map lite and see how they perform too.

What do you mean that's too much mikrotik?

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2021, 04:26:34 PM »

I think I'll wait until it has some "stable" releases, unless I come across a feature that needs it. At the moment both mine have 7.1.1 available but in the "testing" train.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2021, 09:56:41 PM »

> What do you mean that’s too much Mikrotik?

@Meritez  Good for you!

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2021, 12:27:16 AM »

Seems a lot of redundant kit even for a lab but to each their own.

I have 7.1 running on a CRS running BGP, PPPoE, PBR alongside the usual and it's fine.

There was a defect relating to IPSLA however I worked around this easily enough by relying on another mechanism for next hop failure detection.

The router has been up for 3 weeks and is fine.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2021, 01:39:38 PM »

Is there a specific IP SLA feature is 7?  I use the recursive gateway function in 6, but it could do with more tuning parameters.  Ideally like Cisco's combination of IP SLA and Object Tracking.

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2022, 03:54:02 PM »

Gateway tracking didn't work after upgrade from 6 to 7 so routes were incorrectly marked as down.

Resolved by disabling those that weren't necessary which was actually all of them as all depended on either a functional PPP session or were advertised to the router via an IGP running to a device in the broadcast domain, not static routes.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2022, 04:32:24 PM »

That's a shame.  A regular scenario is with an Ethernet provided Internet circuit where typically if the Adva is powered on the router or firewall will see its interface as up even if the actual circuit to the ISP is down. I don't normally work on the sort of installations where we have any sort of routing protocol between customer and ISP, so some sort of IP SLA is required.

Same at home although that's due to hardware limits - my Zyxel knows whether the PPP is up or down, but I haven't been able to persuade it to advertise or remove a route based on that status. So I guess until this is fixed I need to keep my Mikrotik stuff on 6.x

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2022, 10:53:52 PM »

I have routes pointing to the PPP interface by name so when PPP drops down goes the route.

This has reminded me, however, that I should get another router installed to handle secondary Internet in case of failure.

Load balancing with both, naturally.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 11:23:11 PM by Reformed »

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2022, 01:01:07 PM »

Gateway tracking didn't work after upgrade from 6 to 7 so routes were incorrectly marked as down.
I've just been testing with a CHR in GNS3 and gateway tracking appears to work the same as with 6.  I did the configuration in 6.45.6, then upgraded the CHR to 7.1.  I'm just away to try with 7.1.1.

However what was the exact thing that didn't work in your install?  On the Mikrotik forum there was suggestion that Scope (or Target Scope) now needs to be greater, whereas in 6.x it just had to be equal.  However I couldn't find a straight answer as to which value needs to be different.  For example in RoS 6 I have ..
Gateway Scope=10 and Target-Scope=10
Recursive default route Scope=30 and Target-Scope=10

And that seems to work in 7.1 as well.  Will test with 7.1.1 and also build the configuration up a bit with two different paths to the Internet, mutually failing over.

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2022, 02:41:13 PM »

I think I tickled an issue relating to the upgrade and PPP interfaces. There were a few instances I went through where the target of a rule seemed to change. Rationalised the configuration a bit and simplified as I've moved to redundant routers now rather than shoving everything through the one.

7 fixed reliability issues with IPv6 for sure, though.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2022, 11:46:28 AM »

7.1.4 is out, let's see if BGP is broken again.

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2022, 12:41:54 PM »

Hah thanks. Running 7.2rc4 at the moment. Not quite ready to hit the bleeding, bleeding edge. If BGP goes completely wrong I'm in trouble.
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything