Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Number of tel. lines connected + mini test of filters  (Read 2264 times)

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
Number of tel. lines connected + mini test of filters
« on: December 20, 2021, 05:54:35 PM »

Hello All

Does anyone know how to check whether there's another tel. lines connected to the master socket? Before we bought this property, the previous owner had two tel. lines. We only have one (active, anyway), but have had some problems with our connection, so I wonder if this could be to do with the fact that the second line is still connected, but inactive (i.e. no signal on it).

I've also done a mini test of filters and these are my observations. Please feel free to comment:

- ADSLNation and MK4 filters: no difference in terms of error rates if both tel. and broadband connected to *either* filter (i.e. tel. and broadband to either ADSLNation or MK4). ADSLNation offered a higher sync. rate than MK4 filter. Both tested with Fritz!box 7530. No extension connected. Fritz!box reports a lot of corrected DTUs, some ES's, CRCs, and uncorrected DTUs. AT some point, it also reported 'line branching'.

- The interesting part is that when the tel. is connected to an extension (ADSLNation filter), while the broadband is connected to MK4 (same length of cable; same location of the phone and Fritz!box, broadband cable - flat; extension cable - twisted), Fritz!box reports fewer errors, but a lower sync speed (42Mbps instead of 48Mbps) and fewer corrected DTUs.

Any ideas as to why this is the case? Thank you.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 07:58:21 AM by Edinburgh_lad »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Number of tel. lines connected + mini test of filters
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2021, 06:14:34 PM »

Regarding the 2nd line - it would not have any impact on your working circuit from a wiring perspective. The two are totally independent of one another.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2021, 11:35:41 PM »

What's it like in the test socket?

Edinburgh_lad

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2021, 10:04:05 AM »

What's it like in the test socket?
I've not tested yet. I will, but need to wait a bit, as I'll get capped even more.

anything