Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: snoopers paradise  (Read 4012 times)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
snoopers paradise
« on: August 13, 2008, 10:23:07 AM »

I see Brown and his fellow fascists are at it again.  >:(

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article4518226.ece

scottiesmum

Re: snoopers paradise
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 10:39:53 AM »

Well it certainly proves the 'terrorism twaddle"   was just that  !!  Have any of you noticed a large wall being built with a Checkpoint Charlie tower  ? :'(

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 10:41:22 AM »

Depressing isn't it? And it probably won't achieve anything at all in terms of fighting terrorism or organised crime. It's pure government control freakery.
  Eric

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 11:47:12 AM »

Depressing isn't it? And it probably won't achieve anything at all in terms of fighting terrorism or organised crime. It's pure government control freakery.

Yep, and using a lot of taxpayers' money to achieve very little.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 12:29:31 PM »

:(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 01:10:16 PM »

Opposition MPs criticised the plans as a “snoopers’ charter”.
Dominic Grieve, the Shadow Home Secretary, said: “Yet again the Government has proved itself unable to resist the temptation to take a power quite properly designed to combat terrorism to snoop on the lives of ordinary people in everyday circumstances.”
He added: “It is typical of this Government that it also intends to make the taxpayer pay extra for the privilege.”

Will they abandon the idea IF/WHEN they get into power?  :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:
It's like all these 'stealth taxes' that they moan about./ Both the parties are the same, complain about what the government introduce but never cancel it when power changes hands.  :(

dave

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 08:24:00 AM »

Opposition MPs criticised the plans as a “snoopers’ charter”.
Dominic Grieve, the Shadow Home Secretary, said: “Yet again the Government has proved itself unable to resist the temptation to take a power quite properly designed to combat terrorism to snoop on the lives of ordinary people in everyday circumstances.”
He added: “It is typical of this Government that it also intends to make the taxpayer pay extra for the privilege.”

Will they abandon the idea IF/WHEN they get into power?  :no:  :no:  :no:  :no:
It's like all these 'stealth taxes' that they moan about./ Both the parties are the same, complain about what the government introduce but never cancel it when power changes hands
:(

dave

Yes that's what I was thinking too Dave......and as for this government even suggesting or implimenting it, well with the fiasco of other "sensitive held material" going astray.... what hope is there for any of us.  This sure is going much further than the "big brother" Orwellian state..... we will be locked in our houses soon for fear of us doing summat against this ruddy lot...maybe they will deliver all our needs but armoured van with police guard so we don't have to go out!  This country has now got to cess pit level and is descending even deeper into the shhhh  shhhiver me timbers!
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

Broadband1

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 10:37:50 AM »

I'm not sure if i quite read the page properly but it doesn't look good all I saw was "Councils get power to ‘spy’ on your e-mail and net use" soon as I read that my brain said uh-oh. also i agree with what dave wrote and the post after it seems yet again the many are suffering for the minority not sure if that came out right. :)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 11:13:00 AM »

Oh goodie, a few more, home based employees to cut the unemployment figures ........
Now how many people will it need to monitor this scheme.

I'm free  :lol:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 11:47:28 AM »

I have a feeling that this can only sensibly be applied to ISP email accounts. If you use something like GoogleMail then how are the ISPs supposed to collect the information? Packet sniffing would be theoretically possible, but very complicated to apply, particularly if the email service uses a secure protocol.
  Eric