Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Can't get to AOL Mail  (Read 7938 times)

d2d4j

• Kitizen
Re: Can't get to AOL Mail
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2021, 10:52:38 AM »

Hi

Sorry I missed from last post if ping fails after dns resolution is correct, then it is more likely a block

The ping test is a good simply quick test, as it performs a dns look and ping, if ping fails it usually points to a block

The dns is likely to be a round robin and upon connecting from a device is likely load balanced, so the results of dns is not too important other then to determine if there is a dns issue.

I would test using a different browser as the ping did not fail

Many thanks

John

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2021, 11:07:38 AM »

I would test using a different browser as the ping did not fail

See my reply #23 - I've configured Firefox to force it to use IPv4 for AOL domains and that does work. If anyone knows a similar workaround for Chrome/Edge that'd be useful.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2021, 11:38:15 AM »

Hi

Many thanks and yes, I was aware of your workaround and posted that using IPv4 as a workaround was posted much earlier then your post

Edge prioritises IPv4 dns lookup over IPv6 but this may have changed, so no workaround needed (see below)

Many thanks

John

Edge does work with IPv6, it just prioritises IPv4 name resolution first (to be clear technically, requests A records from DNS first rather than AAAA). If you try http://ip6only.me it will show you your IPv6 address if you have IPv6 connectivity (this DNS name only has AAAA record, not A).

You can also try a "dual" test site like https://test-ipv6.com or https://ipv6-test.com and you can confirm both are running.

André Melancia (Andy.PT)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2021, 11:58:48 PM »

I am a grumpy old cat. At risk of catching it from Burakkucat. I rather hate the word dual-stack because I think it’s horribly overused. As best I can make out it arose from o/s designers who were designing o/s TCP/IP subsystems that had support for both IPv4 and IPv6 in an integrated fashion, as opposed to IPv6 being an independent add-on like a driver for a new and completely alien protocol.

When Microsoft spent ages on the new TCP/IP networking subsystem for Windows Vista, which kept getting delayed further and further for whatever reasons, then they had the opportunity to do IP right and it seems completely rewrote parts of the IPv4 stuff so that it used common code from the IPv6 side of things, and that caused IPv4 behavioural changes that were real improvements. (It’s been too long ago now, but I read Microsoft’s book about IPv6, IPv4 and Vista.) For example the source address selection algorithm was made available to IPv4 not just IPv6.

So that was an example of ‘dual stack’ being used properly, about a style of operating system design. And to me that was _the_ correct kind of usage. But later people, understandably, started using the word just to mean something really vague like ‘I have IPv6 and IPv4’ which is already so vague that we can’t understand it - what is it that they do they ‘have’? If it means that they have an o/s that is capable of speaking both IPv4 and IPv6 - then that is every modern o/s, so it’s not saying much.

So I like clarity. Things that are simple to understand.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2021, 08:06:47 AM »

Many thanks again for everyone's help on this.
A summary of the situation:

1. AOL mail works fine at my father-in-laws (Win 10 PC with BT VDSL internet on an out-of-the-box configured Smart Hub 2).

2. AOL mail doesn't work at mine (Win 10 PC / Android phone / Linux Mint laptop with BT VDSL internet through a Zyxel VMG8924-B10A with IPv6/IPv4 DualStack config). Note I'm on the same telephone exchange as the father-in-law but connected via a different VDSL cabinet - both are Huawei.

3. AOL mail can be made to work at mine by configuring Firefox to force AOL to use IPv4.

As far as I know IPv6 is running at the father-in-law's so this all points to a difference in the way my Zyxel and his Smart Hub 2 deal with IPv6.
I'd love to know what that difference is but as I now have a workaround I think we are done.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2021, 08:36:42 AM »

Are you and your father using the same browser/version?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2021, 09:35:47 AM »

Are you and your father using the same browser/version?

He's using Edge and I've tried Edge here and no go (usually I use Chrome on Win 10 and Firefox on Linux).

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2021, 10:09:03 AM »

Have you had F-I-L run the https://test-ipv6.com/ or similar test?

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2021, 10:28:14 AM »

Have you had F-I-L run the https://test-ipv6.com/ or similar test?
As below:

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2021, 12:28:28 PM »

Is that the same as you get?

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2021, 01:30:37 PM »

Is that the same as you get?
Ah, just twigged 'F-I-L'. The screen shot was mine as I haven't been around to his to run the same there (he won't be ale to do it).
Sorry for the confusion.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2021, 01:50:23 PM »

Have you thought of using TeamViewer or similar so you can help without having to visit?

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2021, 03:06:25 PM »

Have you thought of using TeamViewer or similar so you can help without having to visit?

It's a good idea and is probably something I ought to get set up for him, as even the most basic PC issue leaves him totally flummoxed.

Pages: 1 2 [3]