Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: LAN remote-controlled mains switch  (Read 3889 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
LAN remote-controlled mains switch
« on: December 10, 2021, 04:06:15 AM »

I’m looking for a device that can switch a mains device on/off using commands sent over the WLAN.
Must-haves:
  • speaks http/https;
  • works on an isolated LAN, not connected to the internet;
  • has a documented, human-readable protocol so I can talk to it without requiring some proprietary app.
Nice-to-haves:
  • 5GHz
« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 04:17:07 AM by Weaver »

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
Re: LAN remote-controlled mains switch
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2021, 11:13:40 AM »

Something like this perhaps - https://www.netio-products.com/en/device/powercable-rest-101x
Not cheap (~£100) as it's a professional product but I think it ticks most of your boxes.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2021, 01:14:17 PM »

That’s absolutely great -thanks very much indeed.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2021, 03:55:34 PM »

The Shelly-1 16 amp relay switch may meet your requirements, Shelly UK Shop link:
https://shellystore.co.uk/product/shelly-1/
Currently priced @ £8.99 + P&P.
The UK shop service is fantastic, first class Royal Mail delivery to N.I. next day, very unusual, I know delivery is a factor of interest to you also due to your location.

Since I deployed my units a later unit, Shelly-Plus-1 @ £11.99 has been introduced, has scripting control capabilities, this would be my choice now at very little additional cost.

I control/monitor my units via a RPi MQTT broker (2.4Ghz Wi-Fi connection) and any op system browser but browser HTTP interrogation/control will also work.
Can also be monitored/controlled by a simple Androis/IOS app..
I choose not to use the Shelly Cloud but this is available, my system is restricted to LAN only.
No 5Ghz Wi-Fi capability. 
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2021, 04:50:20 PM »

Seems they do everything except a low voltage switch able to pass high current.  Kinda want something that if power goes out the server can switch off the 4G router as its sharing a low voltage dumb UPS with ambient lighting.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2021, 05:04:22 PM »

Seems they do everything except a low voltage switch able to pass high current.  Kinda want something that if power goes out the server can switch off the 4G router as its sharing a low voltage dumb UPS with ambient lighting.

Download a copy of the data sheet or user guide (I forget . . .  :-[ ) for the Shelly-1 16 amp relay switch. That can be configured to operate at 12V DC.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2021, 06:36:00 PM »

Download a copy of the data sheet or user guide (I forget . . .  :-[ ) for the Shelly-1 16 amp relay switch. That can be configured to operate at 12V DC.

DOH, it even mentions it on the product page I just glossed over it.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2021, 08:47:18 PM »

Note that the Shelly-1 and Shelly-Plus-1 relays have "voltage free" relay contacts unlike some of the other Shelly devices, so the controlled/switched medium can be isolated and does not have to be the same voltage as the chosen device supply voltage (AC or DC) unless the chosen application suits to connect that way.
Can't actually see the DC switching current rating on the devices spec. sheets.

Have never used the recently introduced Shelly-Plus-1 relay but for the sake of a few extra quid would now for any future applications due to it's scripting capabilities.

The Shelly-1 or +1 PM relay can be used if there is any perceived need to monitor device/load current. 

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2021, 11:32:30 PM »

My router, a Firebrick FB2900, either has or will in a forthcoming release have an MQTT broker server process in it, so that’s very convenient. I could run one on my Raspberry Pi but the router is always up, all the time and I would have to think about the availability of the Pi. I would of course have to find out what MQTT is and do some proper reading up.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2021, 05:50:26 PM »

Of course you don't have to use a MQTT broker to control/monitor the Shelly devices, my particular application running on a RPI-3B+ was mainly for a Shelly-EM which I set up to monitor & record my electrical energy usage using Mosquitto, node-RED, InfluxDB and Grafana S/W, later added two Shelly-H&T monitors to monitor/record temperature & humidity in two specific areas.

For control of one or two Shelly-1 relays A MQTT broker would probably be overkill.

A few months ago I had never heard of MQTT, lots of very good tutorials on line as always, interesting learning process.

anything