Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Taking time away  (Read 903 times)

Ixel

• Kitizen
Taking time away
« on: November 30, 2021, 03:22:47 PM »

Hi everyone. Apologies in advance for the possibly dreary message that follows.

Some of you may know me, I periodically engage on here, TBB and rarely ISPr, but more often than not I read what's posted on here logged in or not. Over the years this forum has been a great fountain of knowledge and discussion, and still for the most part is. It's been very handy, particularly for networking related stuff. I want to also say thanks for the help given over the years.

Unfortunately with some of the discussions of COVID on here, some people saying stuff like "conspiracy theories", "anti-vaxxers", "pro-vaxxers" or other potentially divisive wording, I feel a temptation that I could eventually engage in such a discussion if I continue reading these kind of things in some of the posts I've not read every so often. However, I fear that my engagement would likely result in helping to make some kind of a conflict (even if I posted something to back something I said), so I would rather not face this possibility and remain civilised. Therefore I'll no longer be logging in on here for some time, most likely at least until hopefully the day that the world can adapt to live with COVID like we generally do for other common respiratory related viruses (e.g. flu). I appreciate that everyone has different points of view on things like COVID. People have reasons for wanting to take the jab, or not, or feel that we should lockdown, or not, and so on. I try to respect other people's choices and beliefs where possible.

Hopefully I'll be back on here at some point in the future. I also regret that I most likely won't be updating my Lightning Fibre diary until I feel that I'm able to return.

If someone needs to reach me for some reason, as long as it's not COVID related :D, then just send me a private message. :)

I wish everyone well and hopefully we can have a fairly decent Christmas this year. Wishing everyone (an early) a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! :congrats:

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: Taking time away
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2021, 10:31:10 PM »

I'm curious why you've singled out the kitz forum?

A quick search on TBB and there's 8 threads in the past year with the words anti vaxxer. There's 3 in November alone.

You may not have noticed that as they are all in "The Park" which is TBB's non broadband section.

You could get the same outcome here on kitz by not visiting the "chit chat" sub forum which is basically "The Park" equivalent.

If you think the kitz Chit Chat sub forum is more potentially divisive than TBB's The Park then you've never visited The Park.

I hope you have a merry Christmas and a happy new year too. Your input will be missed.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 10:59:21 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 08:04:57 AM »

always bemused me that some people feel the need to broadcast their departure.
sensible people just slink off into the distance without any drama.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2021, 03:49:18 PM »

How odd, I see an awful lot of stuff I disagree with (on various forums), most the time I don't voice my opinion, I just think really what's the point and move on.

As the saying goes, there's nothing stranger than folk.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2021, 08:29:30 PM »

With covid being such a hot topic and now part of our every day life, it is only inevitable that the topic and vaccines etc will be raised in the chat section.   Most of the time you guys are self moderating even though we do have many different viewpoints and opinions...  and we tend to be far tamer than most other forums.   

If it helps, it is possible to set forum preferences to ignore certain sections from your profile preferences using Profile > Ignore Board Options

I wish everyone well and hopefully we can have a fairly decent Christmas this year. Wishing everyone (an early) a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Same to you too and hopefully see you around again soon. :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker