Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: will changing the BT smarthub 2 disable BT HotSpot?  (Read 1469 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
will changing the BT smarthub 2 disable BT HotSpot?
« on: December 08, 2021, 09:48:31 PM »

Hi all

I've been on the phone 3 times to BT (what total noobs compared to Plusnet and Sky etc) as the modem and router have been on at 3-4am for weeks now, and BT WIFI and BT WIFI-X still remain, i was told 3 days, 7 days, 28 days twice (once on phone by a staff member) and that they had never ever heard of them and tried to get me to disable my wi-fi when it remains on regardless, and I told them I need the wi-fi???

I couldn't help but think 28 days, isn't that handy, when the law says you are stuck with a product you have purchased hehe!

would a change of router to something more powerful on the 5Ghz (as BT SM2 wifi are rubbish, at 6ft over 5Ghz on a clear channel i get 60Mbps lol) , 4 x GBIT LAN and can have VPN ran through it, but not necessary - must get out this ISP router crop :(
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

licquorice

• Reg Member
Re: will changing the BT smarthub 2 disable BT HotSpot?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2021, 09:52:59 PM »

BT wifi is only transmitted from BT hubs, if you use a third party router the BT wifi signal will not be transmitted whether you are opted in or out.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2021, 10:32:38 PM »

. . . if you use a third party router the BT wifi signal will not be transmitted whether you are opted in or out.

Agreed. A change in the CPE will be the simplest solution.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2021, 07:44:53 AM »

Hi all

... as the modem and router have been on at 3-4am for weeks now...

Are you leaving it on 24/7 as designed, as I'm not sure any of us know how the disable process works for BT wi-fi works in terms of when or how the command to disable it is transmitted.
As others have said a change of device to a non BT one will certainly stop it being transmitted.
:)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 07:47:57 AM by tubaman »
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2021, 08:48:19 AM »

Just a few points about BT Wifi (some off which have been made previously)

It is part of the Terms and Conditions that you agree to when signing up for BT Broadband, although you are given the option to opt out afterwards.
It doesn't 'share' your bandwidth, it only uses 'spare' bandwidth not being used.
It is a completely separate network to your home network with no security risk.
Users of BT Wifi need to log in with their credentials to use the service and are thus traceable.
It is extremely unlikely that anyone would want to, or be in a position to, use your BT Wifi.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2021, 09:53:43 AM »

thanks for the replies, everyone. it is appreciated  :)

I told them 3 times hehe, as i tried calling 3 times, as from experience you can usually get onto a 'keen expert' who knows how to force the update, or knows how to get LEVEL 2 SUPPORT involved 
(unfortunately, every single one sounded like they had just started 3 days ago)

(SKY and other ISPs have Level 2 Support?- but not BT apparently? - poor, IHO) - i got myself through to BT CONNECTIONS on connection day (so someone knew how, or, who to pass me to for instant help! and previously I have talked to Sky Network Services on a COOP with Openreach!!! - so they have second-tier support, as did PlusNet ...so surely BT (being the best supposedly) must have a 'crack-team')

anyway, I said I would leave it on 28 days from last night (already been 2-3 weeks) and reboot every other day to ensure its forced, as many have said it is A FIRMWARE UPDATE -which I'm thinking it can't be right (a FW update) to turn a simple HIDDEN option to OFF - FW's would normally come through on the first night it's on at 4 am as its changed or OOD?...

All my previous ISP even pushed really out of date routers firmware into updates IMMEDIATELY! as soon as the router was turned on! (PlusNet did with two dodgy BT-HH-5A routers, the BT-HH-5B, then later the Zyxel 8924-B10A fixed the issue,
 so (as we know) ISP supplied routers are cack as they have to give them out in millions for free, yet on TechRadar or some other popular site pitted its Wi-Fi against other ISP routers and it came top? the wifi for me is extremely poor, I have to have it 1 inch from the rear of the TV just to get 150Mbps for ultra high bandwidth 4K footage as it only has a 100Mb NIC

thanks again everyone, I'm gonna look for those DRAYTEK solutions and if it is still there in 27 days then i will be getting rid
cheers :)

EDIT: i knew about the hotspots and knew you could disable them, hence i signed up - it doesn't say you must stay with it on during your whole contract or I may have reconsidered  - especially if a new router wouldn't get rid of it. and Liquorice your probably right mate - just there are 3 other BT connections across the road and all THREE have no hotspots on...hehe
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 10:14:44 AM by snadge »

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2021, 02:43:30 PM »

I said I would leave it on 28 days from last night (already been 2-3 weeks) and reboot every other day to ensure its forced

Not convinced there is any benefit to you rebooting your connection.  The Hub will check daily for updates, downloads one if available and then reboots itself (usually at night).

The simplest way is probably to do it via the website directly and wait for the status to change

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2021, 05:12:23 PM »

Not convinced there is any benefit to you rebooting your connection.  The Hub will check daily for updates, downloads one if available and then reboots itself (usually at night).

The simplest way is probably to do it via the website directly and wait for the status to change

which i did 3 weeks ago - so technically in the next week or so it SHOULD go off...BUT, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and take it from 28 days yesterday. if it is still on the 5th of January, then i will be changing the router, and writing to the BT CEO complaints office about opting out, and then keeping it live months later -  WHEN it says 2-3 days directly on their website, the very instant you 'opt out' (wished i screenshot it now) after you disable it.... You all may think "so what?"

- I don't want it and knew you could OPT OUT - that's why i bought it! - you & others might like sharing, but i don't want anyone to have the chance to hack into my system (and yes it can be done) - there are also "BT creds" for sale on the DW - no its not illegal to peruse the DW - even sites selling illegal items!!, only illegal PURCHASES are unwelcome and when you will get a "visit"

no hackers welcome!

Im highly into Cyber-Security - so no thanks hotspot
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 05:15:54 PM by snadge »

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2021, 10:39:36 AM »

... but i don't want anyone to have the chance to hack into my system (and yes it can be done) ...

Do you have evidence for that please as I've never seen even the slightest hint that people have been able to jump from BT wi-fi to the private LAN side of a router.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2021, 01:07:18 PM »

I have just had a look at my SH2 and noticed that on one screen, it says BT WiFi is disabled and on another it says its active..

If I look at the Basic Status screen, it says its inactive. If I go into the technical log under advanced, it says its active..

BTW if you got the modem from BT recently, as part of your ISP package, it actually belongs to BT - so I would just stick it in a box somewhere until you need to return it

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2021, 02:16:17 PM »

Do you have evidence for that please as I've never seen even the slightest hint that people have been able to jump from BT wi-fi to the private LAN side of a router.

I don't see how its even possible, that SSID will be its own VLAN/bridge to the BT WiFi tunnel network.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

anything