Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Help with DG834GT please  (Read 9796 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Help with DG834GT please
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2008, 08:37:53 PM »

Not specifically a line fault, since it could relate to local interference.

It is evidence that there is a problem somewhere.  You could try sending a copy to your ISP as proof that there is something wrong somewhere which is causing the low sync.
If you do send it to your ISP make sure that you mention that you have tried the master socket and another router.

The graph is something that would be of more use to a BT adsl engineer as the large fluctuation would show him that all is not well.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

malcolm101

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008, 01:24:51 PM »

Hi Bt engineer has been checked line done something to joints on poles and tested the line says it syncs at 1900kbps
i have got routerstats running and up snrm is stable at 15 db but down is like a fiddlers elbow min 2.6 max 18.1 is the up always steady.
now sync at 320kbps any help welcome thanks

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2008, 03:46:42 PM »

Is it like that all the time? 

Did you show the engineer the graph?  Did he make any comment on it?

If an engineer has checked out the line and tried to make some adjustments without sucess then it could well be a REIN fault.  Since Im not there to physically see it, its difficult to diagnose and the symptoms could either be that of a High Open/High Resistance fault OR REIN.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

malcolm101

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2008, 04:20:05 PM »

Hi Bt did look at graph just said to check my equipment and you have a long line wasn't really interested.
Will up snrm be stable and down be all over the place thanks .Yes up always straight line 15 db down unstable
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 04:23:23 PM by malcolm101 »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2008, 04:33:07 PM »

>> .Yes up always straight line 15 db down unstable

Although I cant obviously say for certain, if the engineers checked the line then it is more looking like a REIN fault.

>> you have a long line wasn't really interested.

Unfortunately REIN faults are notoriously difficult to trace and although BT do have a special dept that on occasions do get involved, but a lot of the time it is outside their remit as it can be coming from various sources.  Most instances of REIN faults are normally tracked down by the customer rather than the BT engineer.   :'(  :'(

-----

malcolm101

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2008, 04:35:29 PM »

Hi all just an update did what you suggested spoke to isp yesterday and put the case to him and have to say he thought i was an expert so i didn't get the runaround he said leave it with him .I checked this morning and speed was 129 kbps but just did it again and would you believe it up 1930 kbps down 386 kbps but using internal modem so my question how can i monitor internal modem to get the stats the software only give you basic stats i would like to see the snrm now if you can advise thanks.Just done BT test and ip profile now 2000k hope this lasts then just router to sort
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 04:48:51 PM by malcolm101 »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2008, 09:07:48 PM »

>> so my question how can i monitor internal modem to get the stats

Unfortunately if the support software hasnt been programmed to output the information then youre snookered :(
Even some of the earlier routers (such as the Netgear DG814) didnt provide line stats.
-----

malcolm101

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2008, 08:53:53 AM »

Hi can i ask a question my connection has been ok and stable if i now try to connect with router how long would you expect it to take to sync as i understand if it keeps trying it will reduce the sync speed till it can connect what i am trying to learn is if a setting is wrong thanks

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2008, 09:14:52 AM »

Yes it will keep trying until it can sync at the best speed it can.
How long it will take I dont know Im afraid.. as sometimes sync up times can also vary depending on the router used.

All I can do is suggest you watch the flashing lights, and try and judge from the speed of the lights if its starting to "go round in circles".
-----

malcolm101

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2008, 11:04:33 AM »

Hi bucked up courage to try router it takes a lot of attempts to connect then when it does it only connects at 160 kbps although since the alterations at exchange i dont loose speed when i reconnect internal modem i have checked and rechecked settings gone back to the firmware most of the people recommend 1.02.09 got a longer ethernet cable to locate router further away from pc can only think i have missed something stupid thanks 

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2008, 02:26:41 PM »

TBH I'm not sure what else to suggest.
I'm puzzled on this one in that your PCI modem seems to sync ok, and that the engineer says he got a valid sync @ 1900kbps.

This would normally indicate that theres a problem somewhere with your setup, router or internal wiring.

You say youve tried direct from the master socket.. can you borrow another router from a friend for an hour just to check that its not the netgear?
Have you tried connecting direct into the test socket again since the engineers visit?

Start again from afresh, check all the settings are correct, filters etc.
One last resort thing.. and it is a desperate attempt thing, but I have seen a couple of cases where some users have said ST330 USB modem software stopping routers from connecting.  Yet it worked fine once the ST driver and software was removed.  Doesnt account for the low sync though Im afraid. :(
-----

malcolm101

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2008, 02:32:41 PM »

Hi All just to update you now have filtered face plate and filter at the side to help with interference still having sync problems although BT engineer said he was going to get a lift and shift done and thats what i am waiting for now thanks for all the help

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2008, 05:57:52 PM »

Good luck with the lift and shift :)
-----

malcolm101

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2008, 02:58:26 PM »

Hi All if you have time could you have a look at this and tell me if it looks ok thanks

[attachment deleted by admin]

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2008, 12:53:33 AM »

Its late and I'm tired, so hopefully I havent missed anything...  but it all looks ok.

Theres a couple of tiny blips with the bit loading but nothing too serious that I can see that would cause major problems.  Your error rates look acceptable. :)
-----
Pages: 1 [2]

anything