Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Is anyone else seeing congestion at the moment?  (Read 1099 times)

Jon21

• Reg Member
Is anyone else seeing congestion at the moment?
« on: December 02, 2021, 09:26:38 PM »

As title. I’m guessing it’s due to the football matches being streamed on Amazon Prime.

Yesterday

Today

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Is anyone else seeing congestion at the moment?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 10:37:21 PM »

That’s bad though. Moan at ISP?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2021, 02:30:13 AM »

My prime stream stopped twice during the Leicester match (was able to immediately refresh and restart it), I didnt consider congestion on the backbone might be an issue but rather amazon's side, interesting, but sadly now days certain providers do run things close to the limit which can cause problems in events like this and iphone updates.

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2021, 03:56:11 AM »

My prime stream stopped twice during the Leicester match (was able to immediately refresh and restart it), I didnt consider congestion on the backbone might be an issue but rather amazon's side, interesting, but sadly now days certain providers do run things close to the limit which can cause problems in events like this and iphone updates.
I saw some elevated  jitter curve  around the same time as the op's graph on mine yesterday (top graph) ,So it's all  doomed unless you pay mega bucks
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 04:00:32 AM by tommy45 »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2021, 04:03:57 AM »

It just might help if you can buy the BT Premium option (which I was talking about in another thread a long time ago). This gives you elevated priority within the BT network for £12 pm approx. When I bought it from AA it gave me priority within AA’s network too. But the congestion might very likely be elsewhere.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2021, 08:52:55 AM »

Apparently there is local TT congestion near me according to AAISP, I have been having a huge amount of PPP drops the past week or so, and when I queried it was told is some TT upgrades going on, 4 different upgrades all compressed into a short period of time, done by the 7th December.

Jon21

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2021, 04:26:54 PM »

I'm hoping it was just down to the football. ISPreview have a few articles relating to it for different providers, although just stating new peaks in network traffic.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/12/isp-sky-broadband-sees-uk-network-traffic-peak-at-19-9tbps.html

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2021, 07:20:44 PM »

A BT Wholesale Premium option won't help as the ISP seems to be Sky.

It'll be the football. Sky should have a while to upgrade before that kind of loading becomes a regular thing.

anything