Computer Software > Windows

PC problem

(1/3) > >>

grahamb:
Ok folks, buckle up, this one's a doozy...

First, some background: I upgraded to W11 about 6 weeks ago; however since then, I've found that basic vga drivers won't load (1 long beep, 3 short beeps) which means I can't see to enter the BIOS when the pc boots. The pc does show my sign in screen a few seconds after, so I can sign in to Windows.

So, this morning, I've installed a new m.2 nvme drive in my pc (btw, I had to take out the graphics card to do this). I do that, switch on the pc, hear the beeps as usual and the sign in screen shows soon after. "Hmm," I think to myself, "if I can't see the BIOS, I can't set the new drive to the correct gen. I wonder if booting to safe mode will help."
So, I try to do this through settings but, when the pc restarts, I can't see anything. Windows does it's countdown thing (I presume), and reboots back to normal mode, where I can sign in again. Then I think - wait for it - "What if I boot into safe mode from msconfig?" *selects safe mode, clicks apply, ok, restarts...

And now, as basic VGA drivers won't load, I can't see anything. I've manually turned off the power to the pc, waited a few seconds and rebooted a few times but it must still be trying to boot to safe mode. I can't even boot from my original W10 disk through my optical drive as I can't change the boot order of the drives.

Anyway, I'm stuck for ideas now and on the verge of tearing out what little hair I have left. Anyone got any practical suggestions?

grahamb:
Abject panic now over. The MS vga drivers must have taken a hike for some reason. I put an old graphics card that I had in the pc, booted up and the OS started complaining about not supporting it and reloaded the basic vga drivers, which allowed me to enter the BIOS to do the adjustments that I wanted to do and undo the safe mode boot. The new gpu is now back in and has booted to show the BIOS splash screen and now all appears well.

Phew...

burakkucat:
I'm glad to know you have resolved the problem.  :)

Alex Atkin UK:
That's really weird, as the VGA drivers would play no part in getting into UEFI.  Does the original card work now or still broken?

tubaman:

--- Quote from: Alex Atkin UK on December 02, 2021, 06:05:59 AM ---That's really weird, as the VGA drivers would play no part in getting into UEFI.  ...

--- End quote ---

I was thinking just the same thing as the UEFI display is independent of the OS drivers.  ???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version