Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Disabled BT Wifi Hotspot - and its still on  (Read 5310 times)

licquorice

• Reg Member
Re: Disabled BT Wifi Hotspot - and its still on
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2021, 09:31:55 AM »

Yes, you can disable the 'normal' WiFi on the BT router, however, to disable the shared Btwifi signal which is a completely separate signal and network, you need to opt out.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2021, 09:34:03 AM »

So I had this problem, it does eventually turn off just takes some time. What you can also do, is try flicking it back on, on the BT website and then back off again, sometimes that will force it to update.

But I do always leave the Hub turned on - and typically BT sends updates during the early hours so probably advisable to leave it switched on anyway.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2021, 09:59:45 AM »

... and typically BT sends updates during the early hours so probably advisable to leave it switched on anyway.

I'd forgotten that one, and it is indeed a good reason to leave it turned on.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2021, 01:28:23 PM »

Yes, you can disable the 'normal' WiFi on the BT router, however, to disable the shared Btwifi signal which is a completely separate signal and network, you need to opt out.

That seems an oversight as surely people turning off WiFi might be doing so out of paranoia so want NO wireless signal transmitting at all.  Though I guess it would be hard to track down that way if people have it disabled and so disable their roaming access to BT WiFi, thus why it stays on whilever opted-in.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2021, 01:54:00 PM »

Exactly, it's not just a question of turning off the WiFi signal from the hub, it is also revoking access for the account whilst out and about.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2021, 02:24:03 PM »

I'd like to see the number of BT customers who actually use the WiFi while out. I bet the number is very low and becoming less with the advent of smartphones and data packages.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2021, 02:39:06 PM »

I think most customers just aren't awake it exists to be honest.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2021, 04:13:11 PM »

To me, this is just another example of a reason for not using the service provider's equipment.  :angel:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2021, 06:55:53 PM »

I don't know if this was just coincidence, but I noticed when it was off my transfer speed was very slightly less than when it was active.

I'm wondering whether the router allocates space even when its switched off. But when its off nobody can use it. But when its on you have access to it if nobody else is signing in.

As I say it might have just been a coincidence on my line.

When I say speed I'm meaning transfer speed. I use Internet Download Manager so it always shows me the transfer rates on downloads.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2021, 08:09:35 PM »

I'm wondering whether the router allocates space even when its switched off. But when its off nobody can use it. But when its on you have access to it if nobody else is signing in.

Nah definitely not.

It doesn't make any difference if the shared hotspot is enabled or not, you always have full access to 100% of your sync speed/line rate.

It's designed to only allocate unused bandwidth to any 3rd party connecting to the hotspot.
If you are using your connection then it either doesn't let anyone connect to your hub or it lets them connect but they get allocated little or no bandwidth.

If you're on BT and have 1 of their hubs then give it a try. Connect to your own hub via the BT WiFi app and see what speeds you can get. Then start a big download on the home connection and repeat the test. It prioritizes the home user, as it should.

Unless you live within wifi range of somewhere members of the public are stationary (like a bus stop?) the chances of your hotspot ever being used are probably slim.

Apart from possibility a few pence a year additional power usage by the hub from the public hotspot being active, there are no negatives I can think of having it enabled.

I still disabled mine during the brief period I used my BT Smart Hub 2  :D
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2021, 08:26:50 PM »

What is the point in such a feature @j0hn when as you say, so few people can connect? Is the idea that it's designed for more urban settings?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2021, 08:36:50 PM »

What is the point in such a feature @j0hn when as you say, so few people can connect? Is the idea that it's designed for more urban settings?

It's not that few people can connect.
Any BT customer or anyone willing to pay BT for access can connect to any BT Hub that's broadcasting.
It's just that few people use it or even know it exists.

The chances of 1 of those people using your Hub are very small and if anyone ever does they would only get bandwidth you weren't using.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2021, 08:59:59 PM »

It's not that few people can connect.
Any BT customer or anyone willing to pay BT for access can connect to any BT Hub that's broadcasting.
It's just that few people use it or even know it exists.

The chances of 1 of those people using your Hub are very small and if anyone ever does they would only get bandwidth you weren't using.

Try answering the question you were asked.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2021, 09:29:47 PM »

Try answering the question you were asked.

I did...

What is the point in such a feature @j0hn

What's with the attitude? I offered a polite answer to a question.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2021, 05:11:41 AM »

When it was originally implemented, mobile data was expensive, not particularly fast and public WiFi was uncommon.

There's also the benefit that if your broadband goes down, if your neighbours are on BT you can temporarily use theirs.  Technically you could connect to both at the time increasing your bandwidth. ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3