Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: IPv6 - who has or does not have it and who does or does not understand it?  (Read 4451 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick

Who does or who does not have IPv6 nowadays? Do you not understand it and would you like to ?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 08:03:41 AM by Weaver »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: IPv6 - who has or does not have it and who does or does not understand it?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2021, 07:52:45 AM »

I've had it enabled for some time via my ISP IDNet. It passes all the normal IPv6 test sites, and connects with IPv6 whenever it can (e.g. the Google ads on this site). As far as I'm concerned it's 'fit and forget'.
  Eric

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2021, 08:04:26 AM »

Which is as it should be, exactly as it’s designed.

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2021, 02:10:46 PM »

Had it with sky for ages and now with Zen. Works just fine.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 08:32:25 AM »

Had (have) it with Andrews and Arnold, but since this is now only our backup to the main LTE connection I can't really use IPv6 in the home network any more.

grahamb

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2021, 08:50:48 PM »

I know I could use IPv6, since I'm with AAISP too, but ipv6-test.com says not supported. I presume that's either something to do with my ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A router settings or something in my PC's network settings - unfortunately I wouldn't know either way... :shrug2:

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2021, 08:55:18 PM »

Have it, familiar-ish with it but not going to claim to fully understand it.  :)

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2021, 09:01:37 PM »

I had it with A&A, but don’t have it now since FTTP came along. Can’t say I miss it though.
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2021, 08:39:59 AM »

One of the things that always strikes me when IPv6 is discussed superficially, is that people seem to assume you will use your ISP provided addressing throughout your internal network. So I'm not sure how that would even work in my case, with two different providers.  Everything gets two addresses, one from each?  If so then how does a host know which address to use since all its traffic is going to the same router, but may then be forwarded to either of the two Internet routers?  I just never got that far when I was configuring and modelling IPv6 for my own interest.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2021, 03:05:26 PM »

One of the things that always strikes me when IPv6 is discussed superficially, is that people seem to assume you will use your ISP provided addressing throughout your internal network. So I'm not sure how that would even work in my case, with two different providers.  Everything gets two addresses, one from each?  If so then how does a host know which address to use since all its traffic is going to the same router, but may then be forwarded to either of the two Internet routers?  I just never got that far when I was configuring and modelling IPv6 for my own interest.

One way is a form of NAT called NPt, where you choose which IP range you want to use then the router does a 1:1 NAT translation between them when necessary.

Its not got the drawbacks of IPv4 NAT because each client is still directly addressible due to the IP addresses being a 1:1 map.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2021, 03:45:21 PM »

I would be using just one router in that kind of situation but I haven’t  worked out the details. I would really one PI space in that situation, no? I imagine it’s a pig to organise.

[Moderator edited to fix a typo.]
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 04:15:57 PM by burakkucat »

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2021, 04:30:09 PM »

Thanks, sorry for a bit of thread drift.  However I think this backs up my feeling that most discussions of IPv6 don't really cover more than very trivial deployments.

As a newby to IPv6 but not to networking it certainly seems to me that Prefix Replacement would be the way to go, not just to accommodate multiple Internet connections but also to avoid having to renumber internally if you change provider.  I think when I mentioned that before I was sort of shot down on the basis that I didn't really understand IPv6, which of course is true but it would have been more helpful to also be told the "correct" way of looking at it.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2021, 07:23:00 PM »

Had it for a while, initially with sky and now on AAISP.  It resolved a headache on my Xbox (it uses IPv6 for multiplayer), and I appreciate having it.

I will make sure any ISP I move to with FTTP has native IPv6.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2021, 05:04:39 AM »

Thanks, sorry for a bit of thread drift.  However I think this backs up my feeling that most discussions of IPv6 don't really cover more than very trivial deployments.

As a newby to IPv6 but not to networking it certainly seems to me that Prefix Replacement would be the way to go, not just to accommodate multiple Internet connections but also to avoid having to renumber internally if you change provider.  I think when I mentioned that before I was sort of shot down on the basis that I didn't really understand IPv6, which of course is true but it would have been more helpful to also be told the "correct" way of looking at it.

That's because for basic usage you don't NEED to set the LAN range, it will be automatically handled over SLAAC.

That's a crapshoot if you like to know which clients is which and monitor what is going on for security reasons, but for your basic end user its a "just works" solution.  Then again so is IPv4, people just use whatever DHCP range their router comes with by default and never thinks about it.

Its when you start running servers that things get annoying, as you need to be able to open up unsolicited incoming traffic to a specific client and that can be a whole lot more annoying on IPv6 as I mentioned before in how the Xbox gets a different IP every time its rebooted with seemingly NO way to fix it.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 05:06:41 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: [1] 2 3