Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: IPv6 - who has or does not have it and who does or does not understand it?  (Read 4444 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: IPv6 - who has or does not have it and who does or does not understand it?
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2021, 06:06:20 PM »

RIPE certainly know what they’re about, it’s just that it is not yet clear to ignorant fools such as myself. Take my own /48 which is 2001:8b0:xxx::/48 and for example the LAN-facing IP address of my Firebrick FB2900 is 2001:8b0:xxx:0::1 where 2001:8b0:xxx:0::/64 is my whole main LAN.

I just looked it up in RIPE’s website and AA’s allocation is a 2001:8b0::/32 so that only leaves them 216 /48s which is not very many customers. If AA just go and get a second /32, it would be rather nice if they can get one adjacent to their existing one so that prefix aggregation is possible, thus helping to prevent routing table bloat madness.

So does RIPE hold so many adjacent prefixes above 2001:8b0::/32, just in case AA come back later asking for additional allocations, oh and preferably adjacent to our existing one? Say for example RIPE sits on the range up to 2001:8b7::/29, something like that?

It’s a general problem that comes up in resource allocators, so I suppose.

Ok forget my reply I was given a /48 also.  Seems extremely generous from aaisp, but I have it as 2 /64s on my router as they allow you to add 2 /64 prefixes.  I got one on main LAN and one for guest LAN.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2021, 11:01:47 PM »

So where did we get to with the who-has-IPv6 count?

Also, a question: Does anyone know of a readable guide to DHCPv6 for utter thickos such as myself?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 11:05:07 PM by Weaver »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2021, 07:56:27 AM »

So where did we get to with the who-has-IPv6 count?

Also, a question: Does anyone know of a readable guide to DHCPv6 for utter thickos such as myself?

If only.

I've had it working on Zen for years now, though only started using it again recently when I setup the IPv6 VLAN.

I did discover another annoyance, seems the MIB I was using to monitor traffic on my switch must be at the IPv4 level as its not reporting IPv6 traffic in the totals.  I noticed this as due to pfSense throwing a wobbly all IPv4 stopped working and my machine seemed to switch over to IPv6 for my NFS mounts.  Though to be fair, its just my ignorance on what each MIB is meant to be for, I just picked what looked right because SNMP seems to be written in an alien language.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2021, 11:02:18 AM »

Hetzner I think are in a critical situation, they massively raised prices of ipv4 allocation a few months back and have now just announced ipv6 only servers.  They really need broadband providers to roll it out, as do some other datacentres in europe I know off in europe.
Pages: 1 2 [3]