Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Seeing error messages very frequently about non-authenticated station in router  (Read 1004 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen

I had an issue last night which made me look at the router log in my BT Smart Hub 2. Now although I have my wi-fi enabled on the router it is not used by any of my devices in my home, they all connect via my Whole Home Wi-Fi discs. I keep seeing the first message probably once per second for 60 seconds and the second one once this whole combination is repeated roughly every two minutes:-

Code: [Select]
10:16:37 18 Dec. 2.4G client Mac: D4:DA:CD:CF:D9:D6 Deauthentications (Reason:Class 2 frame received from nonauthenticated station)
10:17:46 18 Dec. 2.4G client Mac: D4:DA:CD:CF:D9:D6 Deauthentications (Reason:Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS)

Always the same client mac address and as far as I can tell nothing in my house has that mac. In fact I only have one device which knows the password for the Smart Hub 2 wi-fi and that does not connect to it.

Anyone any ideas please both as to how to find out what device it is and also how to stop it??

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen

Appears that MAC is for a BSkyB device (ie Sky box of some description) so if it's not yours then perhaps a neighbour's device is scanning for a wireless connection?
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

broadstairs

• Kitizen

Appears that MAC is for a BSkyB device (ie Sky box of some description) so if it's not yours then perhaps a neighbour's device is scanning for a wireless connection?

Interesting because we have two new properties next door both of which have Sky dishes so would assume Sky boxes as well. Both our neighbours are elderly and so may not know how to set up these boxes properly.

How did you find the mac might be a Sky box?

Stuart

Edit: Just tried searching on part of the mac and found it. Didn't know that could be done!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 12:06:40 PM by broadstairs »
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP