Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: New OMICRON covid variant - worse than Delta  (Read 3148 times)

vic0239

• Reg Member
Re: New OMICRON covid variant - worse than Delta
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2021, 08:58:19 PM »

Didn't Alanis Morissette sing that?
I didn’t know that - way after my time!  :oldman:  ;)
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2021, 04:32:59 AM »

What Vic said. My friend next door used to listen to Alanis Morissette in 1990s. She was 12 years old. The girl next door, that is.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 07:15:27 AM by Weaver »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2021, 06:52:46 AM »

less serious, as in "vaccines only lower the effect that SARS-Cov-2 has on you" = fewer hospital beds used = no lockdown, but still lockdown numbers getting sick with covid 294,000 per last week (roughly J0hn, that's 42,000 yesterday if yer have to get everything perfect)... because since JULY 19 every 'average joe' stopped wearing masks! ...when simply wearing a mask could have curved it almost out by now with herd immunity ...but no, the average person didn't even have the sense, or the knowledge and stopped wearing masks, even on busses /  metros / shops that are asking PLEASE CONTINUE TO WEAR A MASK and a good 70-80% hasn't been (so 20-30% sensible people)...so those who didn't practice mask-wearing since July 19th are partly to blame for the longer continuation of it, the larger numbers of sick that are ever growing!!!

so I'm not surprised theirs a new strain, there will be many more to come, because of what I've just said.

- simple as that! its ignorance in my book!

Partly government sponsored, they were so desperate to open everything back up.

I was absolutely flabbergasted by an e-mail I received from the council recently, going on about how great it is that there has been a three times increase in visitors to the city centre, seemingly completely oblivious that none of those people are social distancing or wearing masks.

The retail recovery is going to be pretty short lived if everyone is sick.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2021, 08:48:13 AM »

John, that's what it said on BBC on TV too, so are they tin foil hatters too are they? hehe

If you can find me the words more deadly in that BBC article I'll send a donation to a charity of your choice.

Politician eh? Mr Know-it-all (never wrong!)

watch and you will see... it's Sky News and has all the Scientists and Trump denying his part after Obama stopped the funding & him restarting it - funds funnelled through a British scientist - loads more.

[drops mic]

The tin foil hat reference was to the YouTube link.
We're in a world wide pandemic.

I have no interest in reading about bill gates micro chipping me, 5g spreading covid, or how all the world's major powers were involved in some secret plot to spread covid.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 03:05:13 AM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2021, 05:35:12 PM »

There is one thing about the emergence of the Omicron variant that has really surprised me - how long it is since Delta emerged before another variant of concern emerged!
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2021, 06:51:11 PM »

there you go, the government have just texted everyone in the UK which states and I quote "the W.H.O has designated the coronavirus variant B.1.1.529 a variant of concern and named it OMICRON. W.H.O. officials based this decision on evidence that the Omicron variant has multiple mutations that could affect how easily it spreads and the severity of illness it causes.
 :cool:
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2021, 08:08:04 PM »

Could effect are the key words here
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2021, 08:11:26 PM »

there you go, the government have just texted everyone in the UK which states and I quote "the W.H.O has designated the coronavirus variant B.1.1.529 a variant of concern and named it OMICRON. W.H.O. officials based this decision on evidence that the Omicron variant has multiple mutations that could affect how easily it spreads and the severity of illness it causes.
 :cool:

Isn't that what I said?  :)

Neither link you supplied says anything like that.
It's simply been labelled as a variant of concern.

Words are important.

The government have not text me or the whole of the UK. They are not responsible for healthcare outside of England.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 03:17:39 AM by j0hn »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2021, 03:20:32 AM »

I apologise if I was a bit blunt with my original reply to the OP. It's a sensitive topic that I usually avoid engaging in online for obvious reasons.
I just felt the article was misinterpreted by using the words more deadly. They don't know enough about the new strain yet to make that claim.
The W.H.O, scientists, the government etc are careful in the words they use so as not to cause alarm.

It also seems that me thinking that "covid vaccines are a secret plot by Bill Gates to microchip the human race" is a conspiracy theory may also have offended another member.

The definition of conspiracy theory is "a belief that some covert but influential organization is responsible for an unexplained event."
I believe that definition matches the above.

I made no comment on the people who believe in said conspiracy theories.

I'll pass on any future covid related threads.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 03:35:22 AM by j0hn »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2021, 09:51:59 AM »

I apologise if I was a bit blunt with my original reply to the OP. It's a sensitive topic that I usually avoid engaging in online for obvious reasons.
I just felt the article was misinterpreted by using the words more deadly. They don't know enough about the new strain yet to make that claim.
The W.H.O, scientists, the government etc are careful in the words they use so as not to cause alarm.

It also seems that me thinking that "covid vaccines are a secret plot by Bill Gates to microchip the human race" is a conspiracy theory may also have offended another member.

The definition of conspiracy theory is "a belief that some covert but influential organization is responsible for an unexplained event."
I believe that definition matches the above.

I made no comment on the people who believe in said conspiracy theories.

I'll pass on any future covid related threads.

Nut jobs.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2021, 11:47:34 AM »

Partly government sponsored, they were so desperate to open everything back up.

I was absolutely flabbergasted by an e-mail I received from the council recently, going on about how great it is that there has been a three times increase in visitors to the city centre, seemingly completely oblivious that none of those people are social distancing or wearing masks.

The retail recovery is going to be pretty short lived if everyone is sick.

Eat out to Help out was such a great idea though...

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2021, 12:33:48 PM »

Unfortunate that it was the virus eating out and being helped out.

Omicron isn't going to cause problems until February at the earliest. It does not seem as infectious as Delta in the naive, however it does have strong immune escape. Seems like it'll breeze through convalescent patients and those not boosted but 3 jabs or convalescent + 2 should be quite protective.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2022, 01:07:32 PM »

So, the latest announcement seems as confusing as ever.

Boris Johnson has announced the end of all domestic Covid restrictions in England in a process starting later this week.  On Thursday, the legal requirement to self-isolate with people instead  advised to stay at home if they have Covid, or believe they do.

The UK will continue to invest in ongoing surveillance and “keep  observing what is happening” in terms of the prospect of new variants,  the PM says, and acknowledges that tests are the way to do that if the  Covid situation worsens again.

Except:
Free testing for the public will end in England from 1 April, with most people having to pay for lateral flow and PCR tests.

So how exactly are they going to "keep observing" if people aren't getting tested because it costs them money?

I also find it somewhat baffling that the vulnerable will continue to get free tests, yet the best way to protect the vulnerable is for "everyone else" to be tested so they do not come into contact with vulnerable people.  It feels like closing the gate after the horse has bolted.

Although the measures seemed flawed from the start, as hardly any delivery drivers have worn masks when delivering stuff to us, who are vulnerable.  Yes they are outside, but they are handed stuff to us under a porch, facing the house.  They can't just "drop and run" as we can't pick things up if they put them on the floor.  Nobody seems to have considered that many vulnerable people HAVE to come into close contact with people, even when staying at home.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 01:12:35 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2022, 06:40:56 PM »

So how exactly are they going to "keep observing" if people aren't getting tested because it costs them money?

Through things like https://www.ons.gov.uk/surveys/informationforhouseholdsandindividuals/householdandindividualsurveys/covid19infectionsurvey which give an idea of how widespread infections are.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything