Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fastest desktop  (Read 6367 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Fastest desktop
« on: November 26, 2021, 06:21:15 PM »

What’s the fastest desktop PC AMD or Intel PC that you can get without spending silly money, no overlocking or water-cooling allowed? This would be for compiling and linking large projects with GCC or LLVM-type compilers. Not floating point and absolutely zero games.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Fastest desktop
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2021, 08:28:11 PM »

That rather depends on your definition of "silly money" considering I spent £1300 on my motherboard, CPU and RAM bundle.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2021, 08:45:30 PM »

That’s not silly money. Under £1500 all told, excluding monitor.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2021, 02:47:30 AM »

Well that was the 5950X, basically the fastest desktop AMD.  Problem is GPUs are so expensive right now they can really crank up the price, Intel 12700K is probably the best value at the moment.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2021, 04:52:43 AM »

No GPUs at all, compiling code only. Unless GDC ie GCC for D and LDC2 ie LLVM can exploit a GPU?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2021, 10:07:52 AM »

Do the good compilers such as GCC exploit multiple cores? I’m aware of the make -j good thing.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 10:43:59 AM by Weaver »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2021, 02:54:17 PM »

I’m aware of the make -j good thing.

That is the means to specify the maximum number of jobs for "make" to run in parallel. My usual Linux kernel builds are on an eight core system and, as a result of a "make -j8 . . ." incantation, up to eight individual versions of gcc will be executing. I.e. one version per core.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2021, 07:58:30 PM »

Do the good compilers such as GCC exploit multiple cores? I’m aware of the make -j good thing.

I consider clang my favourite compiler, but usually yes.

Sometimes certain software when compiled is single core only, and it can be forced with -j but if you do so it fails due to out of order compilation, but most modern stuff will utilise whatever cores you allow it to.  So compiling typically loves lots of cores.  Also not just for compile speed but also to keep rest of system responsive whilst compiling.

Best system for desktop is a weird one given intel's new cpu's.

I would says the AMD 5000 series, £1500 for that assuming you dont want high end GPU can get the cpu already suggested 5950x or at least the 5900x.

The Intel Alder Lake platform has nice potential, but because of the big/small architecture I consider it too early, it has scheduling issues on windows, it has issues with denuvo DRM, and its unknown how well it works on Linux and BSD currently, but I expect not optimal until new schedulers are made.  Its big cores do win on performance per core though vs AMD 5000 series.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2021, 10:57:44 PM »

Is the big.little type architecture supported properly in the Linux kernel but not in Windows then ?

What’s the 5900x like?

As you may well understand, I can’t build one, as I can’t sit upright for long enough so I would need a machine built. I won’t be using a monitor or keyboard other than for bare minimum admin. My current Raspberry Pi is used entirely via SSH from my iPad while I’m in bed.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2021, 11:09:28 PM »

How much ram and storage would it need?
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2021, 11:38:19 PM »

Here's an example I knocked up https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Ron-ski/saved/TT4RK8

Or if you really wanted an air cooler then there is the Noctua NH-D15 for a similar price, but the Artic Liquid Cooler II 360 is the better option, and its sealed for life.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2021, 11:56:37 PM »

Does it need to run Windows?

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2021, 12:04:03 AM »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2021, 12:09:39 AM »

The Intel Alder Lake platform has nice potential, but because of the big/small architecture I consider it too early, it has scheduling issues on windows, it has issues with denuvo DRM, and its unknown how well it works on Linux and BSD currently, but I expect not optimal until new schedulers are made.  Its big cores do win on performance per core though vs AMD 5000 series.

Seems its still early on Linux too https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-5.16-Lands-ADL-ITMT-Fix
Though to be fair, I think most of the issues are lower performance than on Windows, which is not exactly the end of the world in the short-term.  But for compiling I believe AMD wins on performance anyway, its single-core where Intel is again on top.

That said, I've not tested the 5950X on Linux as I enabled TPM + Secure Boot for Windows 11 which breaks loading the proprietary NVIDIA driver, plus my GPU being a 3080 I doubt its properly supported in the open-source drivers so not even bothered trying.  Its my gaming rig, no real reason to put Linux on it.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2021, 12:12:09 AM »

A useful site for a comparison of CPU's https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-Ryzen-9-5950X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-9-5900X/3862vs3870

That site has a very poor reputation in the PC building community as being not at all a good comparison site.  I always use passmark which is not foolproof (no benchmarks are) but a better guideline IMO.

You can't really beat finding some benchmarks of people doing exactly what you intend to use it for.  Does this help perhaps? https://openbenchmarking.org/test/pts/build-gcc&search
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 12:17:07 AM by Alex Atkin UK »
Pages: [1] 2