Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: That time again Aruba 802.11ax kit  (Read 1071 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
That time again Aruba 802.11ax kit
« on: November 26, 2021, 04:26:51 PM »

Once again, I’m looking into future date replacement h/w for my now ancient ZyXEL 802.11n WAPs, which are superb but will die one day and I’ve been thinking for a while about Andrews & Arnold-supplied Aruba WAPs because they could support it and help me configure it in case I’m feeling extremely fuzzy with all the pain drugs. One annoyance with the current WAPs is the insanity with 5GHz channels ≥100 and what is I think a (30 min?) dynamic frequency something or other delay looking for radar when you fire them up. At 40MHz width, I use up 5GHz channels <100 pretty fast.

Does anyone know if there’s a way to make channels ≥ 100 usable ? What about 802.11ax, does that help? And 60 GHz is no use because I don’t have any, or not many, hosts that support it.

Anyone out there used Aruba?

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
Re: That time again Aruba 802.11ax kit
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2021, 04:28:27 PM »

Aruba is the “new name” for HPE.
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2021, 06:26:45 PM »

I saw something about "an HPE company" on the website making it sound like HPE is a group.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2021, 08:26:08 PM »

As in my recent moan about Zyxel not allowing use of channel 149+, its down to the hassle of support and getting their equipment certified as following regulatory standards.

DFS requires very strict rules and certification for use, earlier WAPs didn't bother.  Now we have the same BS again with 149+ even though they are NONE DFS channels (though as Zyxel pointed out, only really up-to-date clients support those channels).

All modern WAPs should support DFS absolutely fine, but I'd hold off until WiFi 6e kit actually appears.  I upgraded to a proper WiFi 6 AP because I'm impatient and was annoyed at the Honor Router 3 performance tanking.  The component shortage I believe has delayed WiFi 6e products.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2021, 10:41:14 PM »

Aruba is the “new name” for HPE.

HPE bought Aruba Networks in 2015 and placed their networking portfolio under the Aruba brand. Aruba are a subsidiary of HPE.

802.11ax improves range.

Using channels above 100 usually about the regulatory requirement and enabling in firmware. Aruba equipment does support this.

DFS channels as a whole have to be approached with caution. The WiFi is a 'guest' in that band.

anything