Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: MCT, what is the current situation?  (Read 1774 times)

pjkitz

• Just arrived
MCT, what is the current situation?
« on: November 25, 2021, 08:42:25 AM »

Hi,

First post, hopefully I have read sufficient posts whilst lurking / unregistered not to ask anything too daft!

I have been researching FTTC/VDSL2+ modems as I am fed up with my Sky Q Hub struggling to cope with the demands placed upon it, line speed itself is fine for my distance from the cabinet.   I have already started building out a pfSense router but would obviously like to run with a modem in bridge mode.

I assume MCT approval is still very much a thing however I find only being able to find approved lists indirectly via forums and ISPs rather concerning, is there no single source of truth publicly available from Openreach?

Also the approved lists available are now quite old unless I have missed something, a lot of the hardware versions listed are no longer listed for sale, assuming a vendor does not have them on back order anyway.   Is there a 2021 list or do manufacturers just not apply for MCT?

I am on a Huawei cabinet it seems hence I suspect I should opt for a Broadcom chipset having read about the issues some are experiencing with the Vigor 130 which would have been my goto router / modem having had good experiences with Draytek in the 2000s.

Ignoring availability from hardware vendors, is there an obvious Broadcom modem or even a router I can stick in bridge mode on the current MCT list?

I do have two HG612 modems in my loft however they are obviously getting on a bit now and don't meet MCT anyway.

Thank you.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: MCT, what is the current situation?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2021, 09:16:58 AM »

I think the Vigor 130 is a pretty solid device. The ZyXEL routers can be put into modem mode. I use one, a VMG 1312-B10A - although only on mere ADSL2 - and so do very many other Kitizens including Our Leader and also The Black Cat himself. Some have better modems than others on certain, more challenging lines.

pjkitz

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2021, 12:31:34 PM »

I think the Vigor 130 is a pretty solid device. The ZyXEL routers can be put into modem mode. I use one, a VMG 1312-B10A - although only on mere ADSL2 - and so do very many other Kitizens including Our Leader and also The Black Cat himself. Some have better modems than others on certain, more challenging lines.

Thank you, I have been considering a ZyXEL offering as an alternative, all a rather mute point currently as the hardware seems to be on back order anyway regardless of what I want to purchase, plus looking at the product version numbers at a reseller such as broadband buyer.com they mostly now do not match the products listed on even the latest MCT approvals list I have managed to find.   A Broadcom based solution would at least remove a layer of uncertainty in my case.

I did a little more research during lunch on the Draytek forum, there are claims that "BT" on the end of the firmware name relates to BT SIN 498 MCT approval yet the general Draytek website makes no reference to the Vigor 166 which has "BT" in the latest firmware releases as having such approval, which makes me question the assumed implication of the firmware name, I wonder whether it is actually more to do with compatibility than formal approval.   I have contacted pre sales support for clarification.

Edit: I have just discovered a similar thread re Draytek Vigor 166 on uktechhub, with some feedback from Draytek however it's a few months old now, the potted summary of which is the Vigor 166 was undergoing MCT testing.   I'll post any response I receive from Draytek UK, it is still unclear to me whether or not the 166 obtained approval or is just on sale regardless.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 02:23:36 PM by pjkitz »

pjkitz

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2021, 10:30:32 AM »

Not sure how I stand re mentioning vendors, if it breaks site rules then moderators please delete this reply.

Broadbandbuyer received stock of Vigor 130 yesterday, no Vigor 166 in the shipment.   So if anybody wants one there is at least some stock in the country now.

hopkins35

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2021, 11:41:20 AM »

I think the Vigor 130 is a pretty solid device.

My advice, from personal experience, would be not to use a Draytek modem, well certainly not the 130 anyway, on a Huawei cabinet, performance was terrible for me and there's a thread or two around here somewhere with other people's similar experience

pjkitz

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2021, 11:46:25 AM »

Thanks.   I started a thread because I had seen a few threads elsewhere re issues using Vigor 130, and 166 for that matter with Huawei cabinets.   I have decided to carry out some more research and consider a ZyXEL or similar, sounds like a case of try to target Broadcom and not Lantiq chipsets but this could well be an over simplification.

I do actually have a couple of old HG612 Openreach modems in the loft which I assume might still be viable with or without updated firmware, at least sufficient until I make the jump to G.fast or FTTP.

hopkins35

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2021, 11:54:21 AM »

General consensus around these parts is that you can't go too far wrong with the Zyxels, I've got two VMG1312-B10As on my two bonded lines from a Huawei cab and they've been solid performers for years now. The HG612s should do you just fine while you decide your next move

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2021, 02:41:10 PM »

Not sure how I stand re mentioning vendors, if it breaks site rules then moderators please delete this reply.

It's no problem within the context of this topic . . . For I can see no evidence that you could be an employee of Broadbandbuyer or Draytek.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2021, 02:49:06 PM »

I have to say, when I used a Vigor 130, it was when dinosaurs roamed the earth, and was before I got 21CN and a Broadcom DSLAM in 2015; from searching back into old threads it seems so.

anything