Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Windows 11 Pro  (Read 5805 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: Windows 11 Pro
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2022, 07:25:11 AM »

Win 11 isnt for me unless extensively modded in the UI as its a tablet UI.

When the day comes it offers a feature that I must have then I will but that day is not today.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2022, 09:13:18 AM »

Win 11 isnt for me unless extensively modded in the UI as its a tablet UI.

When the day comes it offers a feature that I must have then I will but that day is not today.

Its been heading that direction since Windows 8 and got a worse and worse UI each time.  Maybe I've not used it enough to realise just how bad its gotten in 11, but if anything they seem to FINALLY be releasing having things like network splits across three different UIs is perhaps not a great idea.  When it comes to settings from the UI, 11 has made huge improvements over 10.

Kinda ironic then that they've made the right-click menu just a PITA.  But for the most part a power user should be using keyboard shortcuts anyway.  I only run into problems as its my gaming PC and the keyboard has gone MIA.

I'm someone who uses no DPI scaling on a 4K 27" monitor on KDE to optimise usable screen space, that's about as opposite to modern Windows (closer to Windows classic theme). as you can get.  I had a Windows 7 Plasma theme for a long time, but custom themes tend to be buggy so eventually I dropped it.

Still, there is no denying for where you need Windows, you really have no choice.  I feel that delaying the upgrade to 11 is just making it even more painful when 10 support ends.  But I guess its easy to say that when I don't have to use it every day.  Will be putting it on my AI upscaling box soon as I'm upgrading it to hardware that supports it, that should be "fun".
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2022, 01:19:42 AM »

They have been eager to do it for sure.

Windows 8 they tried it, community rejected it, so Windows 10 they backtracked (it only really differs to 7 with a different start menu and the modern settings UI, so is much closer to 7 than 8 is).
Now they doing it again with Windows 11.

My primary issues is the following things.

Huge padding around every icon, its like I need 8k resolution to cancel it out.
Huge icons.
Replaced start menu with an app drawer/window type system.
No replacement for pinning to start menu or quick launch.

I know there is startisback and other tools to get a better UI back, and I will use those when the day comes I have to upgrade.

Also interesting windows scaling can only be used to make things bigger, but not smaller.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 02:09:39 AM by Chrysalis »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2022, 01:06:46 PM »

Some very good points.

I also got annoyed at Firefox recently as in their infinite wisdom they decided to add huge padding between bookmarks (for touch screen users but applies to everyone), so I can now see half as many on screen.  What makes it worse is their entire UI is CSS based, but in order to change it back you have to go hacking around in the configuration files manually rather than just letting you choose in the settings pages.

Its batshit insane thinking to insist on a consistent UI for everyone, if you're tweaking that UI to be optimal to the minority.  Most PC users are on PC because they recognise touch is a horrible navigation method if you want to be efficient about it.

I'm saying that as someone who loved touch since I first saw Star Trek TNG, but there's a time and a place for it, it should be MY choice how the interface is presented to me.  Same with so many websites adoption mobile-first designs and infinite scrolling, things which should be killed with fire IMO, especially when many sites have an app anyway so there is no need for it.

I'm currently fighting with a photo sharing website that insists on infinite scrolling when browsing user profiles, users with say 32000 photos so it takes days to browse them and if the browser crashes good luck finding where you were.  It has NO FILTERS or search, so the only option I found was turning off Javascript which thankfully resorts to good old fashioned pagination, except some pages on the site they forgot and it breaks.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2022, 09:37:10 PM »

Yep dev's do seem to have a thing for tablet UI at the moment and on top of that dont like making it customisable, I know weaver told me off before for thinking the two devices should be seperate in terms of UI code, but its something that annoys me.

The good news the CSS can be customised and in addition firefox has a hidden compact setting, I cannot remember off hand how to enable it, but it is there, the reason its hidden is kind of petty, the dev's wanted to remove it, got backlash so agreed to keep it on the condition its hidden.  I assume so at some future date they can say barely anyone is using it so it will be removed.

Here how to enable it.

https://www.ghacks.net/2021/04/07/mozilla-decides-to-hide-compact-mode-in-firefox-for-new-users-but-keep-it-for-existing-ones/

Oh yeah 100% agree on infinite scrolling as well, memory usage runaway as the page grows and grows and no way to get back to where you were.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 09:40:40 PM by Chrysalis »

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2022, 10:37:30 PM »

Its frustrating as infinite scrolling literally goes against the design of HTML in the first place, at least most of the time.

Every once in a while I will find a site which dynamically alters the URL as you scroll so you CAN bookmark the "page" you were on, but its pretty rare.
Pages: 1 [2]