Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: [How-to] Simplest way to bypass TPM/Unsupported CPU check  (Read 7887 times)

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: [How-to] Simplest way to bypass TPM/Unsupported CPU check
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2022, 02:10:59 PM »

I was in the same boat, I use a separate computer at home when I am working in order to  to keep my work stuff separate and the company insists using the Company Portal to install MS Office applications and the software they install gives them access rights to everything. Last year they instituted a new standard requiring TPM 2 and my computer stopped working / logging in. It is an Intel i5-4690K with no support for TPM 2 - I was able to use a hack (I think it was this one) which worked successfully in passing the TPM check.

The PC is still running Windows 10 and reports it is unsuitable for Windows 11, when they finally upgrade to Windows 11 I think I am screwed - its so annoying, this machine works great and is way more powerful and effective than the crappy laptop they give me.

My son's gaming computer is now running Windows 11, we haven't seen a noticeable difference to Windows 10 ..... either positive or negative !

Found this interesting: https://github.com/AveYo/MediaCreationTool.bat

craigski

• Reg Member
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2022, 03:45:31 PM »

I have upgraded laptops via firmware from 1.2 to 2.0 TPM, check the OEM vendor website, depends what Infineon chip they have used on motherboard.

Here is link on chips, spec may say what chip is inside, if you can locate here, click the chip and will advise if its upgradable to 2.0:

https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/security-smart-card-solutions/optiga-embedded-security-solutions/optiga-tpm/

However, a series 4 Intel is probably 8? years old, so I doubt will be possible on a laptop of this age.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2022, 06:42:40 PM »

Yes I upgraded a small Dell notebook from TPM1.2 to TPM2.0, just because I could really.  :lol:
I still needed some "meddling" to install Windows 11 though as the processor wasn't considered adequate, but that's one of the simpler tricks.
All my W11 PCs (as mentioned in a parallel thread) are still fine and updating without problems; none were considered suitable though.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2022, 08:10:50 PM »

I could understand writing off CPUs if they were recompiling the whole OS for instructions only available on newer CPUs to improve efficiency, so it literally wont run on older hardware.  But how they've done it seems completely arbitrary.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2022, 05:36:56 PM »

But surely that's what they (compilers) are (or were in my day) for? To translate the program into machine code that runs on a specific set of hardware.
MS will write the OS in whatever language(s) they think appropriate and compile that on the way to building an OS.
And when installed it will load up the relevant routines for the hardware in the system - ah that's what it does anyway!

So they shouldn't have a problem really supporting older processors, they might just run a bit less efficiently.

The only possible issue I can see is if "they" decide that certain absolutely essential functions cannot be run without using newer hardware features.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2022, 04:07:07 PM »

You tell the compiler which minimum instruction set you want as some fallbacks would be so incredibly slow its not worth using.

I believe a lot of modern software requires AVX instructions for example, any CPU that does not support them would be way too slow to run that code so you don't include support for them.

There's also things like virtualisation where a CPU not supporting it wont allow low-level access to be passed into the virtual machine.

Intel have added quite a few new instructions to their CPUs which I haven't seen talked about, they just show up in the flags, but I'm sure Microsoft know what they're for and will use them if a comparable instruction is also on AMD.

Continuing to have fallbacks for missing instructions complicates the code dramatically, Microsoft are trying to root out as much legacy code as possible in 11 as Windows is extremely bloated.

The only thing I can think of as to WHY they limited the CPUs so much, is so they can make these optimisations and slowly test if the older CPUs still run sufficiently without them.  However this should have been done BEFORE launching 11, not in such an incredibly public and disruptive way.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: 1 2 [3]