Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 2.5Gbps Ethernet - why?  (Read 5481 times)

antsly

Re: 2.5Gbps Ethernet - why?
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2021, 03:12:06 PM »

Funny enough I feel still happy with a 1gbit LAN.  If 2.5gbit was only slightly more expensive I would upgrade but those switch prices are too unattractive for me, even 1gbit NAS access is ok for me.

Having a 2.5 gbit link to my NAS has changed my usage to be honest. Lightroom libraries are a lot quicker to work with and full size images load a lot quicker. It's also usable as a location for some Steam games now whereas before it was a bit ropey for that.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2021, 11:52:03 PM »

Having a 2.5 gbit link to my NAS has changed my usage to be honest. Lightroom libraries are a lot quicker to work with and full size images load a lot quicker. It's also usable as a location for some Steam games now whereas before it was a bit ropey for that.

For me its being able to use the AI upscaler straight off the NAS drive, remux using MKVmerge without having to remote into my NAS to get a good speed, generally I just move around large files a lot and even the HDDs can hit 220MB/s.  Also I can move my Steam library between my laptop and desktop if I don't feel like waiting for games to download.

The NAS is connected over 10Gbit though, so that no single client will make it unresponsive.  For example, I removed the HDD out of my mums PC so she would save all files directly to the drive in the NAS so I can easily backup everything important from a single location (neither of us could remember to backup her files otherwise).  If it was only Gigabit that wouldn't be practical as it would stall her access to the SSD while I was moving files around the HDDs.  This way if were accessing different drives on the NAS, its unlikely to slow each other down.

Also once I have FTTP, that alone will be able to max out Gigabit.  I wouldn't want a download to the NAS to exhaust all bandwidth so that accessing it would slow the download.  I already sometimes pull files to the NAS at 600Mbit from 5G.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 11:57:34 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2021, 02:56:49 PM »

For me its being able to use the AI upscaler straight off the NAS drive, remux using MKVmerge without having to remote into my NAS to get a good speed, generally I just move around large files a lot and even the HDDs can hit 220MB/s.  Also I can move my Steam library between my laptop and desktop if I don't feel like waiting for games to download.

The NAS is connected over 10Gbit though, so that no single client will make it unresponsive.  For example, I removed the HDD out of my mums PC so she would save all files directly to the drive in the NAS so I can easily backup everything important from a single location (neither of us could remember to backup her files otherwise).  If it was only Gigabit that wouldn't be practical as it would stall her access to the SSD while I was moving files around the HDDs.  This way if were accessing different drives on the NAS, its unlikely to slow each other down.

Also once I have FTTP, that alone will be able to max out Gigabit.  I wouldn't want a download to the NAS to exhaust all bandwidth so that accessing it would slow the download.  I already sometimes pull files to the NAS at 600Mbit from 5G.

yeah, I'll get it tested via file transfer from G/bit PC to 5.0ghz + 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi, (bonded apparently), sounds like you're into similar stuff as me. questions hehe:

1) Is the Ai upscaler (for 1080p-to-4K I'm guessing) in real-time? and if so what unit is it?

2) why do you need to remux in MKVverge? do you rip your own 4K discs?

3) the USB on the SMartHub is fast too and I used it as a NAS temporarily with an external HDD plugged in - but I don't really need a NAS with DLNA and PLEX - funny because I always wanted one - but my TV's tech has erased that need.
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2021, 04:11:10 PM »

I think the reason its fine for me, is I dont use NAS as my primary storage, its for backups and archives.  Thats it.

I still have TBs of storage in my pc.

If its been frequently accessed especially by multiple people I can for sure understand the desire for 2.5gbit (or even higher) access speeds.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2021, 07:15:01 PM »

yeah, I'll get it tested via file transfer from G/bit PC to 5.0ghz + 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi, (bonded apparently), sounds like you're into similar stuff as me. questions hehe:

1) Is the Ai upscaler (for 1080p-to-4K I'm guessing) in real-time? and if so what unit is it?

2) why do you need to remux in MKVverge? do you rip your own 4K discs?

3) the USB on the SMartHub is fast too and I used it as a NAS temporarily with an external HDD plugged in - but I don't really need a NAS with DLNA and PLEX - funny because I always wanted one - but my TV's tech has erased that need.

1) No, but my ShieldTV can do that albeit they seem to have broken it so it causes stutter in the video which doesn't play nice with my TVs motion interpolation which I ALWAYS use.  I can't stand 24fps, it hurts my eyes.  In this case I'm referring to Topaz Video Enhance AI where especially if you're scrubbing to find a scene rather than the whole file, IO speed is relevant.  Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEJVo2o6BOM

2) Sometimes yes, though I obtain files "from other places" where I will remove all audio tracks other than the best quality one and often the subtitles, because anything taking up space you don't need adds up over hundreds of files.  Also after using Topaz Video Enhance you have to remux the audio back in.

3) Plex is awesome, its the only way I can watch a series and remember which episode I am on.  I'm quality oriented so will use Bluray wherever possible, but remembering which disk I was on is a PITA.  However I can't rip all my Bluray to the NAS as I'd need about twice the storage, and there's already over £1000 of HDDs in there.  Then you have the backup drives.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 07:17:55 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2021, 03:10:07 PM »

I think the reason its fine for me, is I dont use NAS as my primary storage, its for backups and archives.  Thats it.

I still have TBs of storage in my pc.

If its been frequently accessed especially by multiple people I can for sure understand the desire for 2.5gbit (or even higher) access speeds.

agreed!

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2021, 03:37:59 PM »

1) No, but my ShieldTV can do that albeit they seem to have broken it so it causes stutter in the video which doesn't play nice with my TVs motion interpolation which I ALWAYS use.  I can't stand 24fps, it hurts my eyes.  In this case I'm referring to Topaz Video Enhance AI where especially if you're scrubbing to find a scene rather than the whole file, IO speed is relevant.  Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEJVo2o6BOM

2) Sometimes yes, though I obtain files "from other places" where I will remove all audio tracks other than the best quality one and often the subtitles, because anything taking up space you don't need adds up over hundreds of files.  Also after using Topaz Video Enhance you have to remux the audio back in.

3) Plex is awesome, its the only way I can watch a series and remember which episode I am on.  I'm quality oriented so will use Bluray wherever possible, but remembering which disk I was on is a PITA.  However I can't rip all my Bluray to the NAS as I'd need about twice the storage, and there's already over £1000 of HDDs in there.  Then you have the backup drives.

very interesting learning about Topaz Video Enhance AI , cheers.

I too get REMUXES off "friends"' - you can't beat them can you, 1:1 4K picture quality on a DV OLED. I used to mess about with MKVmerge back in my old transcoding days, I miss it, but my system whilst still a good spec is over 10 years old & transcoding just to DVD (SD) on this is 25 minutes+ (Intel i5 'Quad-Core' SandyBridge @ 4.6Ghz / 14GB DDR3 @ 1600Mhz / 1TB SSD Samsung 850 EVO system drive / 1GB GTX650 GPU  / 3 x 2TB Internal HDDs / Noctua super cooler) - it does the trick for my use.

But I'm saving up extra, to upgrade the "guts" so i can get the new Intel 'big.LITTLE' chip, that has high-performance and low-performance cores (copied partially from smartphone chips made by ARM) and parts/specs such as DDR5 RAM, PCie4 NVMe SSD, 90+Gold PSU) so it has much lower energy use in low power mode, as my energy bills with one radiator on for about 1 hour per day, washer on once a fortnight, shower 3 x a week, is hitting £70-90 a month (its the GAS gone up 25% & electric 12% from the 1st November), single man too! and I work for most of the week too! all plugs in the house are OFF at the wall when I go out, so Im looking to buy low power devices from now on, the other day my bill was £4.50 for ONE DAY! - before anyone says..I've checked and according to all sites BRITISH GAS is still the cheapest for my area.

Plex is brilliant especially pulling all the data to go with the videos, its like Netflix isn't it but better! - personally, I've started going straight to DLNA as it seems to play more codecs than the PLEX app on the LG TV.

I too am coming to the peak of my storage lol... gunna have to get a big external drive on my SmartHub2 that'll do me.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2021, 10:52:04 PM »

before anyone says..I've checked and according to all sites BRITISH GAS is still the cheapest for my area.

You're not going to find anyone cheaper at the moment, some may be on cheaper rates but they are not available to new customers, basically ALL utilities companies are selling electric and gas at a loss, the wholesale price is far more than what we are paying. It's only the Ofgem price cap, which is fixed until around April that's stopping them putting the costs up, hence why so many have gone bust recently, Bulb being the latest to go, with  1.7 million customers.

PS. I'm up to 244TB of spinning storage, almost a quarter of a Petabyte

« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 10:56:30 PM by Ronski »
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2021, 01:59:49 AM »

PS. I'm up to 244TB of spinning storage, almost a quarter of a Petabyte

Yikes, and I thought my paltry 47.3TiB was a lot.  I literally don't have the space (or the inclination to backup) more than that.

When I upgrade, it will have to be with larger capacity HDDs because the are only 4 bays in my NAS.  That's always fun of course, the last time it took about three days to copy the contents from one drive to another because the capacity is outpacing the speed increases so much.  Most people turn to RAID to compensate for that, but that's a whole other set of problems.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2021, 07:20:28 PM »

I was recently checking out potential upgrades to AX on openwrt devices out of curiosity, and was looking at newer Archer devices, surprisingly not even their highest end has 2.5Gbps LAN ports.  Consumer market seems to be dragging its feet.

Reformed

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2021, 08:02:14 PM »

That or OpenWRT-compatible devices are dragging their feet. Consumer market may be very different given the vast majority of consumers have no interest in OpenWRT.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2021, 10:35:21 PM »

Yikes, and I thought my paltry 47.3TiB was a lot.  I literally don't have the space (or the inclination to backup) more than that.

When I upgrade, it will have to be with larger capacity HDDs because the are only 4 bays in my NAS.  That's always fun of course, the last time it took about three days to copy the contents from one drive to another because the capacity is outpacing the speed increases so much.  Most people turn to RAID to compensate for that, but that's a whole other set of problems.

Most of it's not backup, its taken up with Chia and Chive plots. I use Stablebit drive pool to duplicate the most important stuff locally, and  I have a Synology NAS with about 12TB at my brothers, that's my off site back using Synology Drive.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2021, 05:00:51 AM »

I was recently checking out potential upgrades to AX on openwrt devices out of curiosity, and was looking at newer Archer devices, surprisingly not even their highest end has 2.5Gbps LAN ports.  Consumer market seems to be dragging its feet.

More annoying is a LOT of them still only have WiFi 4 on 2.4Ghz which negates a lot of the benefit WiFi 6 will have going forward, being able to use TDMA alongside neighbouring APs.  Although how useful that will be when the majority of devices connecting on 2.4Ghz will remain WiFi 4 or older I do not know, perhaps their reasoning.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything