Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: RPi Zero 2 W  (Read 3258 times)

tiffy

• Kitizen
RPi Zero 2 W
« on: November 04, 2021, 03:03:29 PM »

Anyone managed to get a RPi Zero 2 W yet, UK sources sold out at present, seem to have gone like "hot cakes".
Lots of very good reviews since launch last week.
At £13.50 (bare board) can't be bad value for a 4 core CPU, Wi-Fi & Bluetooth capable SBC.
Likely won't be able to resist when they come back into stock again!
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

tiffy

• Kitizen
Re: RPi Zero 2 W
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 08:03:28 PM »

For anyone interested, the RPi Zero-2-W has just come back into stock with "Pimoroni", all UK outlets sold out very quickly a few days after the launch, has proved to be very popular and virtually all reviews are still positive.

Bare board priced @ £13.20 + P&P, previously quoted price was with "The Pi Hut" where it's still out of stock.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 08:21:10 PM »

Just purchased for my gpi case

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2021, 04:43:21 PM »

Received my RPi-ZW2 today and tried out running the new "Bullseye" OS, minimal desktop version.
I prefer to run my RPi's headless using the GUI via VNC, as noted previously with "Bullseye" OS on my RPi-4B, the VNC interface runs painfully slowly, however, this is very easily fixed with reference to this modification:
https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=323294&sid=ee85cb4a5ce3b1d64f2bb6446970f8d8
This was implimented by an SSH connection using a temporary USB/ethernet adaptor.

Very impressed so far, most reviewers have estimated performance as comparable with the RPi-3B-Plus, would agree.
For a very modest price increase from the RPI-ZW the performance difference is considerable.

Can just about get the unit into the existing RPi-ZW basic plastic case, the micro HDMI socket has a slight lip which makes it difficult.
Running OS updates the PS current was peaking at approx 300ma., have not tested any more demanding applications to date.   

Edit: Typo correction.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 11:51:24 AM by tiffy »