Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Getting A Webcam To Display On A TV ?.  (Read 2319 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Getting A Webcam To Display On A TV ?.
« on: November 22, 2021, 09:03:30 PM »

Getting A Webcam To Display On A TV ?.

My daughters moving into a Hay Loft Barn in a small holding in a Essex, all to herself   :)   She is fed up living like a student in the flat she is in now as the building is very nice and well looked after and a great landlord and team that run it, but there are another 5 flats in it.  :(

The only problem with this hay loft is it has roof windows but no normal windows you can Look out of  :hmm:
The roof windows are too high up to see out of. :o

I was talking to her about this on a 'Face-time' video call last night and I said I wondered if it was possible to use a webcam in the USB port on a TV.

Well I tried plugging a 'OmniVision Technologies, Inc. OV511' Webcam (tested on my laptop = ok ) into the USB port on two TV's and did not work  :(
I notice the red 'on' led on the cam does not light up when plugged into the TV's but does on my laptop, I did change the TV's input to USB !.

If I could get it working I was thinking the webcam could be 'Suction cups' onto the roof window and pointed down the horse's field and she could have one of our old 42" TV's and have it in her lounge to look
like a window.

Any idea's please to get it working ?.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Getting A Webcam To Display On A TV ?.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 09:56:33 PM »

From what I've seen the TV has to be a 'smart' TV for this to work.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 03:45:09 AM »

Plus I believe they only work with the specific branded webcam for that TV.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2021, 08:52:11 AM »

Could it work using a smart phone camera and a chrome cast dongle of the television has an HDMI port? The phone wouldn't need to have a SIM in it or be connected to WiFi.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2021, 11:04:02 AM »

Plus I believe they only work with the specific branded webcam for that TV.

Indeed, a TV can't just download a driver like a PC can so their USB ports will only work with very specific devices.
You'd be better off finding an analogue camera that can connect to a composite connection if  you want an easy TV display. What I'm not sure about with those is how long a cable you can get away with before the signal degrades too much.
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2021, 06:33:10 PM »

Indeed, a TV can't just download a driver like a PC can so their USB ports will only work with very specific devices.
You'd be better off finding an analogue camera that can connect to a composite connection if  you want an easy TV display. What I'm not sure about with those is how long a cable you can get away with before the signal degrades too much.

Its usually more restrictive than that.  Most webcams operate using the same protocol at a base level so can work with a generic driver, but TV manufacturers of course only want you to use their specific implementation.  Plus its only specific models that were with the intention of video chat, not just to view the camera.

I actually spent a lot of time over various TVs trying to get IP cameras to work to watch my CCTV cameras, I eventually gave up.  Though an Android based TV should work I think.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 06:35:18 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2021, 09:30:50 PM »

Not as easy as I thought  ???.

While looking at an old iPhone to try I spotted an old 'Fujifilm' 8.1 Digital camera, now that might work. 
:hmm:
Job for tomorrow night.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2021, 11:53:04 PM »

Yeah it might be possible with a smartphone casting to the TV but then the trick is keeping the phone charged and not having it timeout and close the camera. :/

Running the cameras are quite the battery hog so they try everything to get you to close it when not in active use.