Chat > Tech Chat

Getting A Webcam To Display On A TV ?.

<< < (2/2)

Alex Atkin UK:

--- Quote from: tubaman on November 23, 2021, 11:04:02 AM ---Indeed, a TV can't just download a driver like a PC can so their USB ports will only work with very specific devices.
You'd be better off finding an analogue camera that can connect to a composite connection if  you want an easy TV display. What I'm not sure about with those is how long a cable you can get away with before the signal degrades too much.

--- End quote ---

Its usually more restrictive than that.  Most webcams operate using the same protocol at a base level so can work with a generic driver, but TV manufacturers of course only want you to use their specific implementation.  Plus its only specific models that were with the intention of video chat, not just to view the camera.

I actually spent a lot of time over various TVs trying to get IP cameras to work to watch my CCTV cameras, I eventually gave up.  Though an Android based TV should work I think.

tickmike:
Not as easy as I thought  ???.

While looking at an old iPhone to try I spotted an old 'Fujifilm' 8.1 Digital camera, now that might work. 
:hmm:
Job for tomorrow night.

Alex Atkin UK:
Yeah it might be possible with a smartphone casting to the TV but then the trick is keeping the phone charged and not having it timeout and close the camera. :/

Running the cameras are quite the battery hog so they try everything to get you to close it when not in active use.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version