Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Annex L  (Read 2778 times)

noddy

• Reg Member
Annex L
« on: November 21, 2021, 03:01:45 PM »

Hi setting up a different router and came across a setting for  " Annex L " I can't remember coming across that before , so should it be on ADSL2 longline ? cheers

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
Re: Annex L
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2021, 05:17:26 PM »

The Annexes are specific to what the telco/ISP uses so no, even if there is a long reach version of ADSL it wont work without support at the other end.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2021, 05:28:15 PM »

The Annexes are specific to what the telco/ISP uses so no, even if there is a long reach version of ADSL it wont work without support at the other end.
Thanks for that :) still got some changes to make but don't want to upset the DLM

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2021, 05:47:20 PM »

You need Annex A in Britain if you’re using ADSL / ADSL2 / ADSL2+. And what Alex said.

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2021, 06:33:25 PM »

You need Annex A in Britain if you’re using ADSL / ADSL2 / ADSL2+. And what Alex said.

Cheers Weaver , it's a billion 7800dxl which I tried to set up before connecting but it seems that config didn't stick  :( as ADSL2 works better on my line  but it reverted to ADSL2+ when I connected it , I'll give it a night to settle before I alter it the morn .

[Moderator edit to fix the broken [quote][/quote] tags.]
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 02:13:59 AM by burakkucat »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2021, 09:14:37 PM »

Recap: I use ADSL2 (G.992.3) rather than ADSL2+ (G.992.5) as part of a Burrakucat Research Counsel-sponsored initiative. I’m an appropriate candidate for the programme because I have an extreme-length line with a slow downstream link, and that means there’s no chance for me of taking advantage of G.992.5’s higher-speed support, since my link can’t even manage full speed downstream using G.992.3, never mind exploiting G.992.5. Burakkucat’s suggestion, when I first got G.992.5 service back in 2015, was that G.992.3 might indeed give better performance than G.992.5.

So I configured all modems as ‘ADSL2’ (only), and disabled ‘ADSL2+’. A very worthwhile experiment, but it turned out that, even after a large number of careful like-for-like measurements sequences at various times, there was no measurable difference, not within the large experimental noise. (I have checked that the modems are indeed using G.992.3, btw.; they are. The modems are still set the same way now: ‘ADSL2’-only.)

So for me, the result was: if ‘ADSL2 only’ modem settings give any performance benefit (or the reverse!), I couldn’t prove it.

To justify enabling ADSL2+ for me would be bit-loading approaching the highest G.992.3-supported tones, ie approaching tone 255 or higher.

If you’re getting problems doing the same as me and Burakkucat, then I can’t understand why. But if your situation is at all comparable to ours, then you should be fine leaving your modem set to ADSL2+ or auto-select, unless it is somehow being weird about its own ADSL2+/ADSL2 config settings values.

If you can use ADSL2/G.992.3 then I would say it is worth trying the ADSL2 modem setting as there’s definitely no harm in it and it might even be better as Burakkucat originally suspected.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 03:20:40 AM by Weaver »

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2021, 06:35:29 AM »

Good info Weaver  :) changed it this morning max attainable went from 3700kbps to 4300 kbps and seems ( so far more stable  :fingers: ) but it's not ideal conditions to try it while it's windy , I'll keep an eye on it :)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2021, 03:23:11 AM »

The increase in stability is just because you retrained your modems so they’re now using bit-loading and SNRM that is more appropriate to the current noise spectrum and other line conditions. You’d have to do several retrains with and without ADSL2+ allowed to get a decent statistical result, which is why it was such a pain and took ages for me.