Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Amazon and UK VISA Credit Cards  (Read 3125 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Amazon and UK VISA Credit Cards
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2021, 07:29:05 PM »

I used to have a Mastercard which I used for all my work stuff  but didn't need it once I retired so cancelled it. No way am I getting another card just for Amazon, I'm guessing they'll have a spat with another card issuer before long

Stuart
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 10:43:17 PM by broadstairs »
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2021, 07:38:13 PM »

E-commerce means this will be sorted in due course. It’s a stand off but neither organisations can live with it. Ironically my bank has just announced it’s moving from visa debit cards to master cards. Not sure why they don’t say. Money I suspect!
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2021, 08:56:15 PM »

I also fully expect it will get sorted, just wanted to make sure I get my discount.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

g3uiss

• Kitizen
  • You never too old to learn but soon I may be
    • Midas Solutions
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2021, 10:27:49 PM »

Exactly  :lol:
Cerebus FTTP 500/70 Draytec 2927 VOXI 4G fallback.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2021, 10:48:42 PM »

I've not had a VISA credit card for years, who still provides these?

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2021, 01:23:02 AM »

I've not had a VISA credit card for years, who still provides these?

Barclaycard, Nationwide, Jaja, Tymit, Coop/Smile, First Direct, Vanquis, most HSBC UK credit cards..

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2021, 08:09:52 AM »

actually a lot of banks are in the process (or have already completed) of moving from Visa debit to Mastercard debit.

RBS are currently in the process at the moment.

it seems even the banks no longer like to deal with Visa.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2021, 11:24:58 AM »

Although I use Visa (Barclay Visa Credit card) and have Prime, I dont appear to have the offer.

I made some purchases yesterday using my credit card as usual to see if it prompted anything but all I can see is this which doesnt have the £20 discount.    I dont mind swapping to a different card.

We’re writing to notify you of an upcoming change to Amazon.co.uk.

Starting 19 January, 2022, we will unfortunately no longer accept Visa credit cards issued in the UK, due to the high fees Visa charges for processing credit card transactions. You can still use debit cards (including Visa debit cards) and non-Visa credit cards like Mastercard, Amex, and Eurocard to make purchases. Please update your default payment method now, or add one of these new, eligible payment methods if you do not have one.

You can update your Prime membership here, and if you have any subscriptions on Amazon.co.uk, you can update them on the ''manage your subscription'' page here.

We know this may be inconvenient, and we’re here to help you through this transition so you can continue enjoying Amazon’s low prices and wide selection. Please visit this help page for more information on payment methods, or go directly to your account.

Update your account now

What date did the emails that others get go out?   I'll try going through my junk mail again..  I get an awful lot and my mailbox is horrendous atm with being in hospital again for several weeks,  but I cant see anything from scanning through.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2021, 11:30:11 AM »

actually a lot of banks are in the process (or have already completed) of moving from Visa debit to Mastercard debit.

Many banks tend to change card issuer every decade or so, as Visa/MasterCard offer them a better deal then their incumbent.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2021, 12:57:32 PM »

Although I use Visa (Barclay Visa Credit card) and have Prime, I dont appear to have the offer.

Your default payment method on Amazon needs to be a Visa credit card.

I've had similar from Amazon in the past, 2 x £5 and 1 x £10, for changing my default card from Visa to MasterCard. That offer was for both credit and debit cards.
I always change my payment method back to Visa for that reason.
This offer is specific to credit cards.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2021, 02:05:10 PM »

it's only if the visa credit card is your primary payment method.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2021, 10:02:00 PM »

Your default payment method on Amazon needs to be a Visa credit card.

It is - See the email C&P  abov which they sent,  specifically asking me to change my default card 
That account is the only card details they've ever had on the account.

it's only if the visa credit card is your primary payment method.

It is, as I specified in my post "Although I use Visa (Barclay Visa Credit card)" and also hence me copying the email they sent yesterday, which is the first I'd seen.  :(

-------------------

I asked if anyone knew when they got theirs please,  so I could double check through my folders/spam folder.   Being in hospital for best part of a month and having rec'd in excess of 1k mail during that period, it may help me narrow it down.

----
ETA -  Here you go, screen cap from my wallet where it quite clearly shows default Visa Credit card.
I've done a search on my mail and not found anything. 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 10:34:21 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2021, 11:11:02 PM »

Kitz I posted this thread yesterday which is when I got the email, I think it only became public knowledge this week, maybe only yesterday. You can use any debit card or Mastercard and AMEX if you have them. This only applies to cards registered in the UK because after Brexit the cap on charges to companies like Amazon does not apply now and I believe VISA is planning to increase it (if it hasn't already).

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2021, 04:31:19 AM »

Damn I wanted to let everyone know this.

Seems the two giants have fell out with each other.

Well I took advantage and claimed my £20 on Amazon just for simply adding a 2nd debit card.

For those who dont have the offer, I suggest you remove any master card or debit cards which might trigger Amazon to beg you to readd them.

At first I thought was a bit odd, I went there to order a SSD, and seen it on checkout, it made no sense why would they pay me £20 just to add a card, I googled and then found news of the fallout

--

Kitz I had no email, the offer was shown to me on the screen before choosing payment.  Since my main debit card was already added, I added my virtual revolut card which it accepted. Also as chenks said my primary was and still is set to a visa credit card.

Add something to basket and check for a small blue box.  Similar size to their amazon credit card offer box.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 04:45:21 AM by Chrysalis »

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2021, 08:05:40 AM »

apparently if you switch your amazon account to a business one you can continue to keep using Visa credit cards after the January date.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4